View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

My Fletcher is a nervous boy and does not love kids at all. He tolerates most if they get him but he'll run and skirt and hide under any piece of furniture to avoid being picked up by a kid. However my 2 year old nephew is posing a real problem for him. When they are outside he is fine, but when Fletch is on my lap and my nephew approaches him, he gets stiff and anxious, I can feel it. If my nephew gets too close, he lunges at him and barks. Not sure if he is warning him or attempting to nip him. I realized that if I don't 'make a move' to hold him back or play into his anxiety, then he seems ok when my nephew approaches. If I hold him back that is when he lunges and barks. He only does this when he's on my lap. So it's a territorial thing for sure. Are your grandkids hugging you in the morning? Your little guy could be jealous or possessive of you. I am not sure how to correct the behavior. I usually tell my boy NO in a firm voice repeatedly. I will touch or hug my nephew in front of him so he sees he has to share me. If he lunges & snaps again then I'll put him in my room in a time out. Unfortunately he does not seem to care when I do that, he just goes on the bed and takes a nap. Hes probably relieved to be away! LOL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!