View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
MollyAndMaggie
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Something else that I do when we go on a long road trip is to write my name, address and phone as well as another responsible party's (such as my parents) name, address and phone number on an index card taped to their traveling crates. In addition, I advise that should I be in an accident and incapacitated that my dogs be transported to the nearest veterinary hospital and I write on the card that I guarantee payment for any medical services/boarding services until someone can be dispatched to pick them up. I include a signature in the hopes that it will make it more of a "legal" document.

Also, my 2 yorkies travel in the car in their crates and I also run the safety belt through the handle on the crate to keep them from flying around in the car/out of the car in case of an accident both for their protection and the passengers. I ensure that the doors to the crates are pointed inward to mitigate any injury from side door airbags.

When I leave the house (I HATE to leave them!) I pick up all food and any items that they may chew/choke on and leave them in their exercise pen with plenty of water.

We should all remember (I need to do this) to place a sticker or plaque near the door for the firemen to let them know that there are pets inside that may be saved in the event of a fire.

When they go out in public, I have a stroller (they really love their stroller) so that they are protected from people, dogs and from anything they may pick up off of the ground in a strange place. I never let them sniff or get near another dog's fecal matter.

I have a 4 month old puppy and she is only allowed out of the exercise pen when I can keep an eagle eye on her. We do not recline the recliner when she is out. Be really careful of young puppies chewing on any electrical cords. Unplug or stow them away until they get out of the chewing stage.

That is about all of the safety tips that I can think to share right now. Just like with kids, I always try to think ahead of what they could get into.

Looking forward to other tips that y'all use to keep your baby's safe! Thanks!
MollyAndMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!