View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
jolisey
Yorkie Talker

Default I'm scared & worried :(

My 3 yr old Yorkie, Sadie, was given a ham bone a couple of days ago ... ya, I know ... stupid. I was thinking, "No ham", but this bone had been boiled for soup, I took any visible meat and fat off of it, and just gave her the bone to chew with a bit of cartilage on it (I thought no meat and no fat would be ok - she absolutely loves bones!!); I just let her chew it for about 10-15 minutes, and then took it away on her so that she wouldn't swallow any bone fragments.

About 3-4 hours later, she threw up; I thought, "Ok ... that didn't agree with her ... won't do that again". The next morning we discovered she'd had diarrhea all over my daughter's bedroom, and today she's been having diarrhea every few hours all over the place. I took her to the vet this evening (had to call her in special because it's Nov. 11 ... expensive!!) because of the diarrhea, because she's been a bit "shaky" (could be the ham bone, could be the birds outside the window ... who knows?!), and because I'm scared to death after reading about how awful pancreatitis is!! The vet gave her a shot for nausea (Sadie only vomitted once, a few hours after the bone incident), some antibiotics, something to help "coat and heal" her intestinal tract, and some special food to be given in very small amounts over the next couple of days. When I asked specifically about pancreatitis, she said that it could still "develop" into it, and to watch to see if the diarrhea doesn't get any better in the next couple of days, we'll have to take her in for "intravenous fluids".

I feel so awful!!! I really thought that the bone, without meat or fat, would be ok!! (I'm still not sure why it wasn't??). Have any of you had a similar experience? How did it turn out?? How can it be not pancreatitis today, but "develop" into it at a later date? I don't understand that. Sadie is in good spirits, not really lethargic or anything, still eating (when I let her), but doesn't seem to be drinking any more than usual, which I thought she would/should to compensate for all the diarrhea. Any advice, experiences, reassurance or understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Wendy-Lee
jolisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!