View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
Hi Everyone
My little guy had surgery to repair a grade 4 luxating patella yesterday. He wasn't provided with an e-collar or any type of bandage over his stitches. I was just wondering if
a) is this normal? ( i did google search and most dogs seemed to have both. I just found it odd).
b) would it be ok if I covered him with a clean blanket to keep him warm (he just seems cold to me with his little shaved leg). I don't want to invite infection!

It's so hard not to wonder if I made a mistake having this done even though I know it was the right thing to do. He's just having such a hard time getting comfortable!

Here is a pic of him (100X more alert than he was yesterday!)
My little guy had lp surgery last year and I too was 2nd guessing myself. His leg was bowed out though and he was not wanting to walk. It was a very long 6 weeks of recuperation. Our surgeon told us to limit his walking and to keep him quiet. It was easy for the first couple of weeks but then he started to feel better and wanted to do more.

I would be careful of putting blankets on him as he could get wrapped up in them and hurt himself. (as was suggested to me by another member) I have soft collars as Patti suggested. I designed on for my little one as he started to lick his incision and the surgeon said that he needed something so he would not get the site infected. You can click on the 2nd half my signature to get to the thread about my collars. They are so much more comfortable. They can sleep very easily in them and you fold it down for them to drink and eat.

Good luck to you and your little one. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Feel to pm with with any questions you may have to to just talk about the recovery.

Bo
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!