View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
Roxie21
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansmom
Try to avoid Prednizone at all costs! My mother was on it for 5 years for polymyalgia (it's the treatment of choice for that, but the disease is supposed to self-limit in 2 years and didn't). Anyway, she went from having the bone density of a 30 year old to having 7 fractures -- including both femus, the strongest bones in the body - in less than 2 years. We almost lost her to complications. Her new doctor has her off steroids, walking, doing water aerobics, and looking great (she lost the 70 lbs she'd put on due to the drug). Prednizone is a miracle drug for short term (like a week or a month) use, but beyond that it's TOO dangerous. Previous doctors swore Prednizone could not damage her bones. It was only after we moved and she got new doctors who did not know the prescribing doctor that we were told the truth. Don't fool yourself -- they stick together.

Years ago we had a dog on Prednizone for allergies and I'm convinced it shortened his life. He was old at age 5 and died in his sleep at age 7.
I am so sorry about your mother and I absolutely agree with the dangers of long time use. My sister is now only 46 and she had both hips replaced a few years ago after using Prednizone for several years. She walks with a limp still today and will forever have an handicapp license because she can not walk long distances. The doctor said her bones were deterorated. She would love to run/jog ( I run 25 miles a week) but her doctor told her she would never been able to run. Maybe swim, but never run! So be careful with the long term use.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!