View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Barking.... to control or not??

So while reading another thread about how to control barking, I started talking about my Australian Shepherd outside and how to control her barking at night. The story is that once it gets dark outside, she will stand on the porch and bark - not a crazy bark, just a nagging one. If you stick your head out the door and tell her to hush (not yelling, just commanding), she will hang her head (like "sorry mom") and stop for a few minutes. We live out in the country so I know that she's barking at the critters out in the woods and because of the coyotes in the distance but it really starts to get on your nerves after a little while. Luckily Tatum, inside the house, does not follow suit and bark along with her because THAT would put me over the edge. We do have another Aussie now though - a boy (about 3 months old) we kept from her litter - and I hate to think of her teaching him this habit and then we have two fools out there alerting us to every single critter whose eyes shine in the dark. Ya know??

But here's where my hubby and I disagree. I can see his point but don't know what to do. He says if you get some kind of bark repeller to teach her/them not to bark, then she/he won't bark when there's a necessary reason. I guess like if a cow gets in the fenced yard (it happens!) or if a stray dog or coyote or some other unwanted animal wanders into the yard or even if a human stranger comes around. What do ya'll think? Would I be teaching her something that I will regret in the future?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!