View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
dashaway
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default luxating patella

My Dash also has what my vet called "stage 1" luxating patella and also recommended not doing anything about it -- except putting him on glucosomine chondroiton (sp?) maintenance and "keeping an eye on it." I've done a lot of research on luxating patella, and it seemed to me that this is what most vets recommend. But at the same time, it seems that the best chance for a successful surgery is doing it BEFORE things get worse - such as at stage 1 or stage 2...so....that makes me think...why wait?

I suppose one reason to "wait and see" is it may not get any worse if you do the upkeep with the vitamins. Absolutely get him on the glucosomine stuff. Your vet might recommend cosequin. I thought it was expensive and found other brands that packed more punch for an equal or better price. I've had my little guy on platinum performance (you just mix it in with his food). He is starting to show a little arthritis in his hind legs (he has it in both hind legs and his front right leg), but he is still in stage 1.

If you are still really concerned, get a second opinion from a vet who is a surgeon and see what he/she thinks. I suppose most doctors don't want to put a dog through surgery unless they absolutely have to...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!