View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsophia View Post
I am not sure what exactly will happen to this breed in the future. I think it is a shame if all those who claim to be so in "love" with this breed do not find a way to work together to make sure this breed is first and foremost healthy and then work on the standards of the breed. You see way too many of these dogs being sold as I say "out of the shoot" without mind to whether they will even be breeding quality or not. That is no way in my opinion an option if you are indeed concerned about the betterment of the breed.

I totally agree with you that to many puppies are being sold as breeding quality when they should not be.

As far as breeding them Biewer to Biewer it is my understanding from several breeds that have been brought back with very few lines that there are more than enough lines available to keep this breed going and onward and upward.

I don't agree if we truly want healthy dogs. To many breeds have issues because the studbooks were closed to soon. While it is true you can keep a breed going with few lines down the road is when the issues will crop up as they have with many breeds that have been around a long time.

As for breeding to the yorkie, the reason given for this is usually said to be that they are doing it to improve the health of the Biewer. Are you kidding me? The yorkies have enough problems of their own to make this statement and this is in my opinion only. There appears to be more testing going on with the Biewers than with the yorkies at this point. I think alot of the health issues in yorkies are actually worse than we even realize. Mainly because they go unreported, are swept under the rug, or are just not known by their owners because of their lack of knowledge about the breed. So I guess in my opinion if they are going to breed the Biewer back to a Yorkshire Terrier then they better be darn sure about the health of the Yorkie they are breeding back to.

The only testing going on for the Biewers Yorkies is the same testing that is going on with the Yorkies especially in regards to LS with Dr. Centers.

I only offer my opinion and what I know. I am not saying I am an expert. I welcome any information as information is knowledge. I think if all the Biewer owners would look at it like that the breed would be much better for it.

Great thread I enjoy the opinions!
I hope everyone can have an adult conversation about this.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!