View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by coroth View Post
Lexie recently went to the vet for her yearly check up and got a full major lab panel and a CBC work-up. On her blood panel it showed that her liver wasn't doing to good. On a number scale it was a 2 with 4 being liver disease. The vet advised me that nothing was wrong and not to worry about it just yet. I ended up rushing Lexie to the vet on Thursday morning because she threw up bile with little clots of blood in it. The vet rechecked the blood panel and found her liver had gotten worse in the matter of a week. I am going back on Friday to get it looked at again.

Ever since she threw up blood, I noticed that Lexie isn't eating. She hardly drinks and is very lethargic compared to her old crazy self. She will be two in September, so being so young I hold out hope that everything will get better with rest and TLC. I got her to eat a VERY small amount of soft dog food today, which is a GREAT start!! Per the vet, I bought her Natural Balance soft dog food because it doesn't contain copper, which is hard on the liver.

Has anyone else gone through this? What should I expect? Is there something special I can do to get her appetite going?

I've tried boiled beef and rice, hot dogs, string cheese, ANYTHING!! She just won't eat.

The vet, my boyfriend, and I decided that if her labs were worse on Friday we were going to put her down since she seems to be suffering so much. She doesn't eat, play, bark, or any of her usual past times. I can't even get her to go on a walk, she gets to tired.

I'm just worried sick with anticipation for Friday. Keep us in your prayers!!
Honey...hold on a minute, please do not think about PTS yet...

First Liver Disease doesn't mean a death sentence. There are plenty of us here with pups/dogs dealing with liver issues.

Proper diet, liver medicine and liver aiding supplements are available and DO work.

She is feeling sick and not wanting to eat, because those food you have listed are making her feel sick.

#1 = NO MEAT ~ NO ORGAN MEAT

Natural Balance makes a Veggie formula, that is one option. OR at the Vet L/D wet is good to use, some ppl bake the L/D wet and their dogs seem to like it, OR from the Vet Royal Canin HP16 dry food. These are really the best route.

Watermelon and apple pieces (no skin) are ok too for snacks.

To jump start her you can force sryinge some Childrens Vanilla Pedisure.

I agree with the above postings and you should head for U of Michigan ASAP ~ I know a ton of people that had success there, they are VERY good
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!