View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #10
Jemma
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Is Anesthesia Safe? - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

This is a good overview on surgery.
I would not use halothane though (Iso or Sevo instead).
I would also prefer that a bile acids test be included in the preop blood work for Yorkies. A urinalysis and EKG preop can also be done if you want to be very cautious.

I would not leave an animal alone after surgery, so if they insist that the dog be monitored through the night, they need to let you transfer them to another hospital that is staffed 24/7.

Gas anesthesia (Iso or Sevo) should be used for maintenance but usually an injectable or IV drug is given first to give time to intubate.

Everytime anesthesia is used, there is a risk but it is still very safe. Sometimes you can do everything right and bad things happen and other times you will hear of animals dying under anesthesia when the proper protocol wasn't followed, so ask lots of questions and make sure somebody (usually a tech) is monitoring the animal while under because the vet can't do surgery and monitoring very well at the same time.
Thank you, thank you, thank you hun for this. I thought there was a certain sedation for the little ones. Jemma is 6 months and I was going to schedule a appt, but now that I see she has double teeth, I am going to wait. If they fall out, all good and well. But I would rather have her put under once, rather than twice. I live in a small, quiet, Retirement Mobile Home Park. Not much action with other dogs here. Besides, Jemma goes outside on a leash only, with me. So she'll be ok for another couple of months.
I love this forum,so much insight given, such a education. I knew nothing on Yorkies, never had one. I'm still learning every single day, but this forum is the biggest plus for me.

Carol and Jemma
Jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!