View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
kathy_caribe
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Unfortunately, since he vomiting quite a bit and isn't holding down water after giving something with questionable fat content like beef and egg, I'd be very concerned about pancreatitis right now. Hopefully it is just an upset stomach though.

I don't know if there is any time difference between Michigan and your area of Mexico but it looks like he hasn't been able to hold water down for about 18 hours. At this point it is a judgment call on whether to wait until tomorrow or go now. Pink gums are a good sign though. Do you have a vet on call 24/7 that you can call and talk to? You will need to withhold food because he can't even hold down water but that isn't good for a pup either. Do you have Nutrical? Karo syrup? He may be better by morning which would be great but then you won't know what happened and how to avoid it next time.

What type of beef did you use? How lean was it?
Did you give egg yolk? What fat % was the milk?
Does he handle other sources of lactose okay?
How long have you been cooking for him?
Do you balance the diet with supplements?
We're on the US central time. My son just got him to take in a little bit of water (about 30 min ago) which he did not throw up. The first time he drank he drank a LOT and maybe it was too much for him to handle. We just now got him to drink some more and we'll see if that stays down too.

I'm not sure of the fat content of the meat - probably 80/20? Down here cows are super lean so they add fat to the ground beef. Not sure what Nutrical or karo is, but I can make a sugar-water concoction for him. We also have pedialyte at the farmacia I can get. The egg was cooked into the meat along with everything else - the milk was whole (down here the milk is all ultrapasturized in boxes - no need to refrigerate). he has had cheese before but very rarely and has been ok with that. We just started cooking because he has been itchy and it isn't fleas but the only dog foods we can get are the really poorly rated ones. I was thinking maybe he had a corn reaction. We *just* started the cooking so we haven't taken him completely off the Pedigree (puppy chow) he's been eating - yesterday was his first day on the meatballs. They were 80% meat, 15% oats, rest carrots and an egg - then cooked.

Thanks so much!
kathy_caribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!