View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Lindyloo
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Daffney had another visit with the vet today--to do an x-ray and blood test in preparation for her surgery. I asked some questions and learned that collapsing trachea and laryngeal paralysis are 2 different things--my misunderstanding.

He says Daffney has a "slightly collapsing trachea," but it's not bad enough to need surgery. It's the laryngeal paralysis that's going to be fixed. He explained that it's caused by excess tissue higher up in the larynx and the surgeon will remove some of that tissue with a laser.

Daffney is a large Yorkie--12 pounds right now. She was 13, but we put her on a diet at the vet's recommendation. Our goal is 11 pounds. Anyway, the vet says that because of her size, the surgery is less dangerous.

My vet has sent quite a large number of small dogs Dr. Kenny for this procedure. This is the same surgeon who repaired both of Daffney's ACL's and stabilized her knees. At the time, whenever I told someone about the knee surgery, they always asked if we went to Dr. Kenny. He has an excellent reputation and I'm very comfortable with him.

Thanks for your responses and your prayers.

Linda K.
Lindyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!