View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Karrie
Donating YT Addict

The reason she doesn't go in the bathroom is because she considers the bathroom her home. Naturally, dogs will not soil their "home". So you'll need to teach her that the rest of the condo is her home too. Little by little.

To teach potty training, you'll need to block off your family room, block off all hiding places and watch, watch, watch her. The idea is to catch her in the act and then correct the error. Reward for good behavior. Repeat as necessary. Then gradually increase the space.

If you can't give her 100% of your attention while she is loose in the house, then you'll need to confine her (either back to the bathroom or in a crate). Know that they are quick and will soon learn that they can potty if you're not paying attention - so if you have to turn your back to do anything (go to the bathroom, answer the door, watch tv, etc.) then please put her up. Do not attempt to multitask when potty training. A few weeks of your undivided attention will lead to a life time of trust. Its not easy, but its worth it.

My personal tip: lay down some old blankets while potty training in the family room - that way you can wash the blankets to remove the odor and to save the carpet.

I was fortunate that my hubby helped out. We were both dedicated to the process. Bailey was trained in 2 mos and 100% reliable in 4 mos.

House Training for Dummies is an excellent source!!! This book was my potty training bible. I read it and adapted my own process.

Good luck!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!