View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
dangeruss
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Is there any place gated outside where you could let her off leash? Just so, at first, she can see that being outside CAN be fun. She may be associated the leash with being "held back" or "chained" or something. So first, you may want her to know outside is good. Bring special treats with you when you go outside to let her know she's going to get that treat every time she goes out - that may make her want to go out more because she knows "Oh, if I go outside, I'm going to get that treat."

As for leash.... I wouldn't force her upon her really, then she definitely won't like the leash. Let the leash sit out on the floor every day, maybe even with a treat on top of it. Maybe put it by her crate or put it somewhere that she associates as a good thing. Let her check it out, sniff it, get used to it, and then slowly attach the leash to her harness. Just keep doing this every day and she should get used to it.
Great answer, and it's exactly what I did. First time I tried the leash, Mackie went crazy! I started laying the leash around the play area and once he got used to it, it was all downhill from there. Good luck!
dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!