View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
DAB
Senior Yorkie Talker

Thank you so much. Emma is not a tea cup. Her mom weighed in at 7 or 8 lbs. and had long legs. Her dad was short and stocky. Emma is short but is 10 " long. She is about 5 lbs. or so.

Will keep you posted after all options are reviewed with the surgeon. Again, I do fear the seizure/blindness complications which may go along with surgery. That is my main concern. Additionally, I would hate to see her personality change. The doctor at Tufts stated that some Yorkies can live a long life with a shunt. It all depends. He said he has seen a 12 year old Yorkie which was diagnosed at that age with a shunt.

As far as cost---since December to now the cost has been $2000. Surgery would be at least a few more thousand dollars on the low side. Incidently, Emma is covered by VIP insurance [I am paying for the best premium policy including the extra cancer coverage] but all bills I have submitted are now on hold for consideration/review. I know that any treatments for a liver shunt will not be covered as it is congenital and congenital problems are not covered. I am guessing that VIP will try not to pay for any of the diagnostic procedures up to this point either.

Best of luck with your baby. I will keep him in my prayers as well.
DAB
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!