Thread: girardia
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
lemonlauren
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Fyi, just bc a test comes back neg. for giardia, it does not mean they don't have it; giardia easily hides under scope and often needs to be repeated.

Adult dogs will not always show signs of giardia, even when they have it - so while a pup in your home has flagrant symptoms, your adult dogs may also have giardia, but show no symptoms and often will just fight it off.

When sick and/or healing, a dog w/ giardia will shed cysts all over the place - so that is why reinfection is so common. Clean as much as you poss. can with bleach water.

Puppies can have a very tough time healing from giardia. In pups, the giardia can actually start digesting the intestinal tissue and damage it - SO, if the pup has ongoing stool issues weeks down the road - please post again so we can help you with that issue.
!!!!!!

Nikko had a really rough time with both giardia and coccidia as a young pup, and we are still having some issues. He is now 6mo old, and about 85% of his poops look great (we joke that we want to bronze them for display), but 15% are still weird and mucous-y or just kinda too soft and skinny. We switched his kibble over to grain-free, and put him on a probiotic for a little over a month, but are still on the hunt for something more mild and hypo-allergenic that is also grain-free - and that is available in our area. And of course we still have plans to switch over to at least some prey model raw, if not all. I can't believe how how hesitant I am to make that switch - I'm a little disappointed in myself actually. Usually I am the type to jump the gun on a new thing, but for some reason this is taking me longer than I expected it would.

But Wylie's mom, I would appreciate any additional suggestions you have for us giardia survivors who haven't perfected the poop yet.

Lauren & Nikko

Last edited by lemonlauren; 03-01-2009 at 02:50 AM.
lemonlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!