View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
sarahcarp
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamalyssa View Post
So glad to hear! he is most likely on his way to recovery now, parvo usually runs it's course in 2-3 days .. if the dog makes it past those days he should be good!! your lil guy is a fighter bless his heart! make sure you keep him confined for 2 weeks, as the virus is shed in the stool for up to 2 weeks after an infection has occurred... everything should be cleaned with bleach and water solution... if you have leather or fabric surfaces that need cleaning go to revivalanimal.com and purchase thier A-33 in the dry or spray solution and use that... it DOES kill parvo. Also keep hand sanitizer around for yourself after you handle him, wash your hands and then clean with the sanitizer.. you may want to designate 1 pair of shoes and clothing that can be worn when you handle him as it is easily carried to other places in the home and it takes 1 microscopic germ to infect another dog or puppy.

I used to breed pit bull puppies so I have dealt with parvo before and know a lot about it... IT STILL SCARES ME TO DEATH when I even hear the word. We dealt with it once with an adult dog and once with a litter of puppies that were only off their mother for 3 days (don't even know how that happened they should have had protection from their mother) and once with a puppy we purchased that had parvo, EVERY1 survived except for 2 of 6 in the litter that were very ill in a matter of hours this was in 2 seperate homes over a period of 5 years... I STILL WORRY SO MUCH about any puppy we get NO MATTER HOW MUCH I CLEAN I keep them confined as much as I can until all their vaccinations are completed.

I am sorry for going on about this, I just want you to be as informed as possible about this disease and how easily it is spread. I wish someone would have been available for me when I first had to deal with this.
I appreciate your advice, I have been cleaning everything and I bought parvosol spray from the vet for the things I can't use bleach on. The one question I had was if color safe bleach was just as effective as regular bleach with killing the parvo because I wanted to wash my darks and make sure no parvo survived on them. The vet said I could use parvosol in the wash but I'd rather save the parvosol for the house and use color safe bleach if that works, if not I'll go ahead and use the parvosol. I've been changing my clothes every time I see him because I have to go back to my healthy dogs and care for them as well. None of the other dogs are sick, and hopefully it stays that way. They are vaccinated, but the vet said there is still a chance they could get sick so I've been very careful. It still boggles my mind as to how he contracted parvo, he's lived his whole life in my home (he's the son of my two yorkies) besides vet visits I've only let him out in my own yard to go potty and no strange dogs have been inside. There must have been parvo on some surface of the yard, I can't think of any other explanation. I don't know how to go about sanitizing my yard, I'm scared to have the other dogs go outside to go potty lest the parvo is lurking somewhere in the yard. I was also worried that my long hair might somehow carry parvo when I've handled the puppy or my face, because my other dogs want to lick my face and touch my hair when I'm with them but I'm too scared to let them and they don't understand. They always like to lean up on my hair and smell me and kiss my face, and they're mad at me for acting weird. The emergency vet told me I had to wash my hands and feet with bleach before seeing my healthy dogs or going out in public, they didn't tell me that antibacterial soap was sufficient so I've been washing with bleach like an idiot thinking I had to. This whole thing is such a mess and nightmare! I'm going to be cleaning forever! I still can't bring my yorkie Rudy home even though he isn't sick because he's been near Boomer the sick puppy, so Rudy is upset because he can't come home and be with Allie and Ivy, my girls. Poor Rudy doesn't even know why he's banned from the bedroom where Boomer is. So frustrating! Dogs really don't take well to having their routine changed, I feel terrible.
sarahcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!