View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
puppy_Love08
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
You can't give him freedom if he continues to go on the floor, or your husband needs to get just over it. I've said it over and over again to you, get a steam cleaner and clean it up. It's just carpet. Those are your choices - crate + tether or deal with it until he learns. There is no magic housetraining wand.

Again I'm repeating myself.... Sammy is housetrained (she asks to go out) but she will poop on the floor is left unsupervised when she needs to go, which is 90% of the time first thing in the morning and after she eats dinner. So, we stay outside with her until she goes in the morning and then she is not allowed to run around unsupervised in the evening until she goes. That means crating her if i'm too busy to stand outside for 20 minutes, or walking her until she is empty. You NEED to get Logan on a schedule like that so you can have better success with predicting when he needs to go out. Maybe that means crating him an hour before he usually goes, preventing him from having an accident, and then walking him until he goes.

The moral of the story is that you can't leave him unsupervised. Try to learn his patterns. Have you tried teaching him to ring a bell? How much of it is that he might have tried to tell you he needed to go out but you didn't know. Loki used to walk by the door. If I was upstairs, how would I know? Teaching him to ring a bell eliminated almost ALL of his accidents when he was around 1 year old because he was so excited that he could communicate what he wanted. Also make sure you are taking treats outside when you go and giving him one right away.

Logan is almost a year. Loki still had a few accidents at that age before he was completely trained. You have to work with him and continue to be consistent. I know that you feel like YOU have done nothing wrong, but you need to be open to the possibility that you need to try something different. Housetraining Yorkies is a PAIN but it's worth it and it can be done.
I ring a bell that's hanging on the door knob every time we go out. And when he pooped on the carpet the other night, I was standing right there. I yelled, "no!" and picked him up, but the poop fell on the carpet before I could get him outside.
puppy_Love08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!