View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
abbie's mom
Lovin' 2 Girls
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franceen View Post
Thanks SO much for all your advice and reassurance. It's much appreciated.
You're most welcome . We're getting quite a group of prey model feeders here on YT, so there should be someone always available to hold your hand, or answer questions. Then, one day, you'll look up and find you are doing the hand-holding .
Quote:
I am a bit puzzled now. I may take her to the vet.
Do what you need to do. You'll be tempted to tell him/her that you've just started prey model feeding, but I would advise against that, just now - unless you're looking for more ammunition to shoot this whole thing in the foot before it gets a running start. Most vets are adamantly against RAW/prey model feeding. There are some who are coming around to our way of thinking, because they've seen dogs in their practice who have fewer overall problems. You can't argue with success staring you in the face . If you take her to the vet, let the vet make his/her diagnosis based on his/her knowledge and what s/he sees from the dog. IF s/he asks if there have been changes in her diet, of course tell the truth. But, don't be surprised by a knee-jerk reaction, blaming the diet: Itchy butt: "that darned diet!"
Quote:
You are braver than me, buying the tripe! I bought some dried tripe chews for Tootsy and when I opened the packet I almost threw up!! Not only did they look revolting (sort of spikey in some parts??!!) but the smell! They went straight into the garbage can.
Revolting, to be sure! The proprietor of the first RAW store I found, said her hubby absolutely forbade her from bringing into the house before it was processed. She had to do it outside, then bag it up to bring in the house. The smell is beyond words - and Miss Abigail LOVES it! LOL But, my Mozart won't touch it. The only reason I buy it is for the probiotic enzyme action.
Quote:
I bought her some liver treats and she actually loves them! (Yes, I am quickly going bankrupt) Now I am feeding raw, I don't have to worry about treats, do I? Meaty bones take their place?
Treats are nothing to worry about, either way. Some feed 'em, some don't bother. I feed them rarely. But, be careful of liver - less is best, as it will result in cannon bum Not saying don't feed it at all, just watch the portion, and how often. Bones are not to be considered taking the place of treats. Bone, though a small portion of this diet, is a necessary part, and should be fed regularly. Stear clear of Rec (wreck) bones - bones that come from weight-bearing parts of the animal, or too dense for smaller breeds.

Join today and remove this ad!