View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
finhuang
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Welcome to the forum, Katharine.

Kennel Cough is not a serious disease. It seems that your yorkie is cured of kennel cough. He has a clear lungs and no congestion. He still has a cough sometimes, so we'd like to know why. My friend has a teacup poodle who is 3 years old weighs only 3 lbs. He coughs sometimes because he has a problem called "tracheal collapse" which is a very common problem in small dogs. The trachea, or windpipe, is a flexible tube made of a series of cartilage rings. In some dogs the cartilage isn't as rigid as it should be. When the rings collapse, the trachea flattens, obstructing the airway. It the collapse is in the neck region, the dog has problems breathing in. If the collapse is in the chest region, problems are more likely when the dog breathes out or coughs. Coughing is the major symptom. The cough, a harsh "goose honk" type of sound, occurs mostly during the day and is associated with excitement, pressure to the throat, or eating and drinking. Tracheal collapse is most common in very small breeds, especially teacups.
I hope your puppy doesn't have this problem just like my friends dog. Best wishes for your teacup baby.
finhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!