View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
There's lots of info on here about the raw diets and home cooking for your yorkies...I'm curious as to how many of you follow these diets for your yorkies? I know there are many books you can buy with recipes and reasons why to feed these types of diets, but I wanted to see some of your own ideas/answers on this.

Also:

Why did you choose to feed raw or home cook for your dogs?

How much time per week to you spend cooking/preparing food for them?

How do you know how much food to feed them?

Do you make large batches of things for them to eat, and then freeze it for later?

Do you find that it's more expensive, or about the same cost as a premium dog food?

Are there lots of supplements that you have to add to their food to make this as nutritionally balanced as possible?

Have there been significant improvements in your yorkie since you started this new diet?

I'm considering going to home cooking for my dogs, but haven't yet decided if I'm going to do this...or, I might just do this for one meal per day, and feed dog food for the other. Is there anything right or wrong about that?

Thanks in advance!
Layla has been eating home cooked food for about 3 months as soon as the recalls started. I felt like i was just sitting around and waiting for her food to be next so i bought the Dr. Pitcairn book and started!!!

i make a batch every month.. which lasts usually over a month... i freeze it and bring a baggie out every 2 or 3 days

Dr. Pitcairn's book indicates how much a dog for her weight should eat.. i think it is between 1/2-1 cup but if i can get her to eat 1/4 a day i'm happy... she is still a very picky, bird eater! she also gets yogurt during the day too

i find homecooking MUCH cheaper... i buy her meat at the butcher or on sale at the grocery store and it lasts me a VERY long time, plus even if it WERE More expensive i woudlnt care... i LOVE knowing exactly what she is eating

Dr. Pitcairn's book gives you a receipe for the suppliement that you should add to the food. Layla also gets 4 other vitamins on a rotating basis. YOu can PM if you want more info

Laylas coat has come leaps and bounds since her new diet.. Also you can expect a week or so of a very slow and tired dog. This is their body getting rid of all the bad stuff... Layla expeirinced this... but maybe for two days.. not a week. i HIGHLY recommend the book i've been talking about.. i'd say i pull it out about once a week just to look something up. He talks about a lot of other things besides food... but again if yo uwant more info feel free to PM ME!!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!