View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
PMC
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Vets Specializing in Liver Shunts?

I used the search feature to look at previous posts, but I didn't find anything that specifically addressed my questions. (Sorry if I missed something.)

I have 2 yorkies. The one recently was referred for an abdominal ultrasound, because her blood test results suggest that she may have a liver shunt. Looking back on it, and particularly after viewing the posts containing peoples' experiences with this disorder, all the symptoms have been there for a while. We just didn't think anything was wrong until she started urinating so often that we thought that she had a uninary tract infection. She drinks excessively, is mildly disoriented after eating, presses her head (although not in a way that was ever alarming to us -- I thought she was just playing, to be honest). She also has vomitted yellow (bile?) here and there, but again, it was nothing excessive.

Her vitals are: 9 months old, 2.5 lbs. I don't have the details on the type of shunt (we are pretty sure that the ultrasound will confirm that she does, in fact, have one.) We want the best possible care for her, assuming the shunt is confirmed. We live in Chicago, but will travel or at least forward the test results to an out-of-state vet, if there is someone who is specializes and believes that they can help. Any recommendations/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated. We, like you, love both our yorkies like children, and just want to make sure we have considered all of our options.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!