YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Yorkie Classifieds > Yorkies For Sale or Wanted
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
YT 500 Club Member

Default Wanted: Morkie Female Pup

Hello everyone. I am from the Western NY area and I'm looking to buy a female Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie mix) pup. I saw one in a local pet store and fell in love, but knowing them to be a puppy mill I refrained from purchasing the little furball.

Therefore, before anyone starts flaming about puppy mills and backyard breeders and telling me to get a purebred. I have done *extensive* research and read many posts, articles, etc. and have my heart set on a Morkie, so please don't try to dissuade me because it will not work. I have read Morkie threads on here and see the anti-mix spam that occurs and I do not want that here. So if you have an opinion that is not helpful in locating somewhere I can purchase a healthy, happy, well brought up pup, please keep it to yourself.

I know about rescue operations and I have put my name in at many of them requesting a female morkie pup if one comes in, but the waiting lists can be quite long and they don't get many. More common mixes include yorkiepoos. I have covered a wide area, up to a 5 hour drive away, but I have had no luck.

Having exhausted the ideas that I can think of and that I have garnered from the internet, I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase them that isn't associated with a puppy mill operation and I am becoming disheartened. Morkies seem awfully difficult to track down from "proper" sources.

I just want a puppy who is super cute, won't shed a lot, and that I won't be allergic to (as I have severe health issues). My body didn't react negatively to the Morkie at all (and yes, before someone says something I know that the Maltese and Yorkies have the same hypoallergenic/nonshed traits, they are the parents of Morkies after all, but I have my heart set on a Morkie and I do not want a purebred). I'm fully prepared to take on the responsibility (I've been doing a lot of research. I came across this forum looking for potty training tips.), now i just need to find out how to safely and humanely purchase my future furbaby <3

So what I'm asking of you all, is if you know of any *respectable* breeders in my area that I could purchase a female morkie pup from? I'd love to get a solid reference, preferably from someone who personally knows a breeder, has bought from them before, or personally owns a morkie they have bred. Thanks so much in advance for the help!
Furbaby Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
YT 500 Club Member

Default Possibly legit?

After some more research (and a few referrals to sites via facebook and my aunt, who breeds labs), I may have located a possibly legit breeder. Does anyone have any information on them as to their reputation or purchased from them before?

I went to their personal website after puppyfinder and on their site they offer weekly photos of your pup to you so you can see it grow and they would prefer you visit their house. That doesn't sound like a mill to me, but the breeder is located in PA (which I know can be a "danger state"). I also googled the owner and the location to see if any poor reviews or red flags came up (e.g. abuse offenses or widespread puppy mill outcries) and I came up with absolutely nothing. My bf suggested that I search for how much property the owner has (because he said if he was running an illegal operation he would have one house for show and one property for the milling), but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it. Does that seem crazy or should I have him walk me through how to do it later?

Morkie Puppies for Sale: Housetranpit

Pampered Pups
Telephone: (724) 667-9268

We have children & our puppies come with a lot of love and we prefer
if people can come to our home but would ship if we feel pup can
handle it.Shipping is around 300. We are by Pittsburgh(north of airport
40 min.)Zip Code: 16116. JOHN 3:16 call now

I also figured I could call and ask them the list of questions found at the link below to determine if they are legit...

Puppy mills - how to buy a puppy

Do you guys have any tips for how to sniff out if someone is a respectable breeder?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

I have a Yorkie-Poo myself, so I have nothing against mixes, but she wasn't purchased from a breeder.
Unfortunately, you have come to the wrong site to try and find a "reputable" breeder of mixes.
This site is passionate about the Yorkie breed and you really won't find people that can in any good faith give you advice on finding a breeder who mixes breeds. It's kind of a contradiction in terms.

I will use the phrase I often do when people post a breeder, " I would run the other way."
The breeder you posted has red flags:
-they breed all kinds of breeds
- they are advertising puppies as young as 6 weeks
- they advertise tcups
Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Morkie Breeder

You can try mymajestipuppy.com. Their telephone number is 913-406-3552

She is a small breeder and we got out little Mia from her. She is an adorable little dog and we are very happy with her and her breeder. We were also able to register her as a hybrid. The lady you can speak to is Lisa Crump. She breeds morkies and yorkies. She is very knowledgable and will give you the information that you are looking for.

Best of luck.
dodobelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
JDS
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese1 View Post
I have a Yorkie-Poo myself, so I have nothing against mixes, but she wasn't purchased from a breeder.
Unfortunately, you have come to the wrong site to try and find a "reputable" breeder of mixes.
This site is passionate about the Yorkie breed and you really won't find people that can in any good faith give you advice on finding a breeder who mixes breeds. It's kind of a contradiction in terms.

I will use the phrase I often do when people post a breeder, " I would run the other way."
The breeder you posted has red flags:
-they breed all kinds of breeds
- they are advertising puppies as young as 6 weeks
- they advertise tcups

I do not believe reputable breeders breed mixes on purpose. Therefore, you will probably have a hard time finding suggestions here on YT. You will get more suggestions to check the rescues. I realize you've said you've already done that, but keep in mind that the most reputalbe yorkie breeders will ONLY breed pure bred yorkies, not "designer dogs".
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
YT 500 Club Member

Default Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input guys. I really do appreciate it!

Reese1: That is why I came here. I really, *really* don't want to feed into a potentially bad business and you made some excellent points about the red flags.

"This site is passionate about the Yorkie breed and you really won't find people that can in any good faith give you advice on finding a breeder who mixes breeds. It's kind of a contradiction in terms."

I know that YT is Yorkie passion all the way, but I did come across quite a few Morkie posts/owners, so I thought I might get some input here. It is hard, after all, to find anything solely Morkie related so this was my best option.

JDS: I'm crossing my fingers for a rescue to come through, as that was my first choice option, but they aren't as common place as one might think :/ I thought, "It'll be so great! I'll call a few shelters, find a lovely little Morkie that needs a loving forever home, and I can save her within the week!" That obviously, did not happen and I haven't heard a peep from any of them. I'd gladly drive the 5 hours to go pick her up if she came in!

"the most reputalbe yorkie breeders will ONLY breed pure bred yorkies, not "designer dogs"."

I realize that yorkie breeders breed yorkies (it is kind if implied after all ^_^), but I thought that someone who owns a Morkie on here might know someone who doesn't treat their animals poorly and gives them the love and care they deserve.

Honestly, all I'm looking for is a lovable little companion. I don't really mind if she's a mix. I also feel that, that is what she is... a mix. Not a "designer dog", that makes it sound like I'm buying into some type of hype (which I'm not). I just met a little guy that melted my heart, but was doomed to never be purchased by me because of the business he came from and now I am on the search for an alternative. Most purebreds came from mixes at some point or another as well, so I think we should just stick to calling them mixes instead of labeling them with disdain.

I also counted on the knowledge level here and I trust it, which is also hard to come by on the internet. You guys do a great thing here and I appreciate those who love their purebreds! I was just looking for some steering in the right direction if at all available and figured since there are *some* Morkie owners here that I might get a bit of help.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbaby Friend View Post

Reese1: That is why I came here. I really, *really* don't want to feed into a potentially bad business and you made some excellent points about the red flags.

"This site is passionate about the Yorkie breed and you really won't find people that can in any good faith give you advice on finding a breeder who mixes breeds. It's kind of a contradiction in terms."

I know that YT is Yorkie passion all the way, but I did come across quite a few Morkie posts/owners, so I thought I might get some input here. It is hard, after all, to find anything solely Morkie related so this was my best option.

JDS: I'm crossing my fingers for a rescue to come through, as that was my first choice option, but they aren't as common place as one might think :/ I thought, "It'll be so great! I'll call a few shelters, find a lovely little Morkie that needs a loving forever home, and I can save her within the week!" That obviously, did not happen and I haven't heard a peep from any of them. I'd gladly drive the 5 hours to go pick her up if she came in!

"the most reputalbe yorkie breeders will ONLY breed pure bred yorkies, not "designer dogs"."

I realize that yorkie breeders breed yorkies (it is kind if implied after all ^_^), but I thought that someone who owns a Morkie on here might know someone who doesn't treat their animals poorly and gives them the love and care they deserve.

Honestly, all I'm looking for is a lovable little companion. I don't really mind if she's a mix. I also feel that, that is what she is... a mix. Not a "designer dog", that makes it sound like I'm buying into some type of hype (which I'm not). I just met a little guy that melted my heart, but was doomed to never be purchased by me because of the business he came from and now I am on the search for an alternative. Most purebreds came from mixes at some point or another as well, so I think we should just stick to calling them mixes instead of labeling them with disdain.

I also counted on the knowledge level here and I trust it, which is also hard to come by on the internet. You guys do a great thing here and I appreciate those who love their purebreds! I was just looking for some steering in the right direction if at all available and figured since there are *some* Morkie owners here that I might get a bit of help.
There are a lot of people on YT that have Morkies, Yorkie-Poos, etc..
I think a number of owners came across them not having the understanding of where they are coming from or what type of breeder would breed them on purpose.
The problem is breeders are using terms like "designer" etc... to sell dogs and make people think they are getting something they are not.
Morkies and my Yorkie Poo (Crosley) are mutts, I don't love her any less then my two Yorkies, but she is a mutt no less.
Reputable breeders who are doing the right thing should be breeding for betterment and to improve the breed. Breeding a bunch of different breeds together isn't improving any breed. It's for money! The puppies are adorable, all puppies are adorable!
The shelters & rescues are filled with these type of mixes because you never know what you are going to get health wise, genetics, appearance, etc..
I really hope you can find the puppy you want from a rescue or shelter instead of supporting a BYB or puppymill!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Is there a reason why you want a mixed breed rather than a purebred yorkie or maltese?
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbaby Friend View Post

You seem to be on the right track! Anyone that wants to put in the effort to go about getting a dog "the right way" definitely gets a from me.

I know you mentioned shelters, but have you tried breed specific rescues? They also take in mixes. So you might want to try maltese, yorkie, and small breed rescues, the kind that do not have shelters and all efforts are done through volunteers. All the pupsters are in peoples homes. Rescues like those that come to mind are YTNR (Yorkshire Terrier National Rescue), and Yorkie Haven. I don't know if they're in your area, but if you do a google search for your area you might find something.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #10

I also wanted to add to just remember, no 2 morkies look alike. They are mixed so you never know what traits they will show. Keep an open mind on color, coat type, and size and you'll find the perfect little girl.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #11

Sorry, last post for today I promise!
Here are some yorkie mixes I found on petfinder. All are considered to be yorkie maltese mixes, and as you can see, they all look different!

Adoptable Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie: Petfinder
Adoptable Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie: Pebbles: Petfinder
Adoptable Maltese: Sandi: Petfinder
Adoptable Maltese: Bonnie: Petfinder
Old 08-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
YT 500 Club Member

Default Thanks for all the enthusiasm ^_^ It is appreciated

First of all, I'd again like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond here. I really do appreciate it.

Dodobelle: Thank you for the input, but it seems your breeder is based in Kansas and requires pick up (which is a good thing in reality, but a bit tough for me to get to!). So it wouldn't be an option for me anyway. If I was going to make a trip to Kansas, I saw an adorable rescue litter of Morkies on petfinder last week that I would have scooped up right away!

Reese1: That is true, even I didn't realize the pet store I was at was supplied by something as traumatizing as a puppy mill. :/ Luckily for me, I always do *a lot* of research before a huge purchase and I uncovered it in my pursuit of knowledge. I felt so bad that I even thought about purchasing from a person like that, even if I was uninformed at the time. I would love for a shelter to come through and bring my furbaby to me, but it is proving difficult.

JeanieK: Well I've done a lot of research and reading, and I've also met purebreds of both types in person which led me to a few conclusions. Some of them are shallower reasons I'll admit it (I'm an honest person like that) and some are not.

The reasons I wouldn't want a purebred Yorkie include, but are not limited to, the fact that they are notoriously difficult to potty train. I live with my parents still (instead of dorming while I'm in college to save money) and my mother doesn't take well to messes. Now I've discussed with her the rules of potty training and that there will be accidents and it will take awhile, but I've read it is not uncommon for Yorkies to be quite a bit more difficult to train in that area. I'm sure this applies to training in general as well? They are also known for being more energetic and I'd like a little bit of a more mellow personality. And for the shallow reason, my mum didn't like the look of them as much as the Morkie and she does have some say in the purchase.

The reasons I wouldn't want a purebred Maltese include, but are not limited to, the fact that the few I've met were so lethargic to the point where I didn't really consider them dogs anymore... They acted more like cats, which is fine if that is what you're looking for! Another is that my mum had a purebred Maltese when she was younger and loved it to bits, but then it tragically passed away and that was what made her swear off dogs up until this point when she felt ready for another! She made me promise no purebred Maltese though. :/ And the last (and I admit completely shallow reason) is that, in general, I don't like all white fur dogs.

Morkies are easier to potty train because of the Maltese in them (or so I read/hear), are colored (although it can vary from black/tan, to gray/silver, to caramel, etc. basically half a dozen things because they are mixed), and have a bit of spunk in personality from the Yorkie side, but are a bit more mellow thanks to the Maltese. I've seen this first hand as well, but I realize every pup is different and I would need to meet my forever friend before committing to her (chances are I would just accept any deviance from anything listed here...because I'm a sucker and just love the furballs :P). Plus, that little guy in the store just melted my heart... and it is hard to let go of something once you fall in love with it.

Now this is not an extensive list of reasons either, but I feel this should be sufficient enough. Even if my reasoning was, "I just want one" it is a personal choice that should be respected. I'm a bit more thorough than that though!

DvlshAngel985: Thank you for the kudos, I really am trying! I swear I'm not some evil puppy mill feeding menace. <3

I know that they vary in everything due to the mix. Like I said I've done a TON of reading. I will admit I was surprised to find how much they change as they age. You can start with a tan/black pup and end up with a silver adult. Luckily, appearance isn't everything Although, I will admit I would prefer the tan/black combo. Size is relatively important too as my mother did not want a large dog (we would have bought a purebred lab from my aunt if that was the case). I would be happy with anything below 15-16lbs and it seems Morkies fall well within that.

I have put my name in at some breed specific rescues. There weren't many I could locate in my area (although there were many many more "toy" rescues, so I put in at those). I did find quite a few breed specific rescues in Ohio though so I put in for those (as they are within my 5 hour drive limitation I set for myself). I haven't heard of your two suggestions though, so I will definitely look into them this week!

Funny you should post petfinder links. I was recommended to that site right away by a friend and I've been checking it, but no luck with the Maltese/Yorkie mix in the 5 hour radius so far for me. I did get a hit on a beautiful 1 yr. old girl, but the rescue said that she was pending when I contacted them (they offered to call me if it didn't pan out, but it's been a bit since then so I assume she was snapped up).

LOL I already put in a request on Bonnie earlier this week (we'll see how it works out, these little guys are pretty popular. This being my first dog often pushes me to the lower end of the preferred list, maybe I should tell them it isn't my mum's first dog?).

As for Sandi, my mom already vetoed earlier this week for various reasons. She in reality gets the final say. Also, we have a cat (Suki) who may or may not take advantage of the potential blind spot >_<

The "no name" requires a home visit. "As such we request potential adopters be within 1 hour traveling distance." I'm not eligible due to the distance, and I can't put in for Pebbles because she is a special needs dog and she deserves the extra care she needs (which I don't think I could adequately give her).

Surprisingly, the required home visit for rescues and the distance they are willing to travel is often the kicker because while I will travel 5 hours to get my potential furbaby, they cannot travel 5 hours to do a home visit :/

Thanks again for all your input guys! I'm still searching for my forever friend, but I have faith I'll find her soon. ^_^
Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #13
No Longer a Member

Are you really sure that you are ready for a puppy? It looks like your mom will be caring for this pup most of the time as you are in college and you plan to pass off most of the trainig to her. No 2 pups are the same when it comes to potty training, and since you are getting a mutt there is nothing saying that the pup will get a trait from one dog or the other. You can wind up with a morkie looking yorkie, not to mention there is no predicting if you wind up with a dog that has all of the bad traits from each breed. I recommend that you really sit down and research weather or not you have the time/energy required to raise such a small dog. Not to mention the funds to care for them in case they wind up ill and you have to pay for 1500-2500 dollar surgeries. If you don't want a purebreed, I recommend going to an animal shelter and picking out an adult that was abandoned for whatever reason. Less time spent training as many are dumped having already been housebroken and taught basic commands.
JMO.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #14
YT 500 Club Member

Default As already stated...

Deuce: As already stated, including my first post, I have put my name in at *numerous* shelters (at this point I've even lost count/track of them). I have also stated I have done a *ton* of research on dog care and small breeds (obviously I ended up here and there is an excellent guide for new owners available). I'm more than prepared and have passed my research along to my mum so she can be more than prepared as well. She also wants a puppy to love, as this was her decision actually. Her friend recently acquired a maltipoo and she decided she was ready for another dog. I'm just going along for the ride and to help out. I also just love furbabies so I have no problem sharing the burden.

You should really not question someone's situation when you have no clue about it. I'm not here for you to judge whether or not I'm ready. I *know* I am. I am not "passing" anything off and I'm offended you would insinuate as much. I know how much work a small breed is from my reading and talking to people I know who own them.

A new pup is a member of the *family* and, as such, it is the responsibility of the *entire family* to enforce training and help with the dog. My dad will also be reading the proper way to handle and praise the pup because every single person needs to be on board or it just doesn't work. So actually there is no such thing as "passing things off" anyway when purchasing an animal as no one sole person should be the only person enforcing training. Of course, that's JMO.

I have sat down and researched as I've said over and over. I already know animals can be expensive when sick. Cats are expensive too if things go wrong or even when they don't and we've owned numerous cats over the years! My sister's cat just ran up over a $1000 vet bill because she was sick and they had to do a lot of diagnostic work. Another reason it was my mum's decision to get a pup and not mine. She is the one that is established financially and she's the one who can handle that burden (of course I offered to help out with my paychecks, but she said it wasn't necessary). I do know about budgeting and money, I happen to be in school for Accounting. I'm by no means irresponsible or walking blindly into anything.

My family has come to the decision ready and informed. Thus, I didn't ask for opinions on whether or not I'm "ready" to get a pup from people I don't even know. I asked for help on where I could responsibly purchase a healthy, happy pet.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #15

As far as your reasons for not wanting a pure bred dog.
Going back to the mixed breed situation, you never know what you will get when you are mixing breeds!
Yorkies can be hard to train, I'm sure Maltese can as well. I think that is a "small breed" thing in general. Mixing the two doesn't mean you are taking what you might consider the bad traits out of both. I think that is a myth that breeders who sell mixes try and tell buyers!
You could end up with the best of both, worst of both or a mix of the best & worst!
As far as not liking all white dogs, again you don't know what coloring a mixed breed dog will turn out to be unless you purchase the dog as an adult. Puppies change colors & they can change a lot!
Bottom line is you never know what you are going to get in looks, traits, behaviors etc.. It is a cr*p shoot! That's part of the reason you see so many mixes in shelters & rescues. People come across a cute, adorable puppy and they want one that looks just like it and then they are disappointed when they don't turn out the way they wanted!
If all the people on YT posted pictures of their Morkies, Yorkie Poos, etc... you will see from one end of the spectrum to another what they can look like!