YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Yorkie Classifieds > Yorkie Rescues & New Homes Needed
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Yorkie Talker

Default Has anyone had any experience with YTNR?

I had posted on the general discussion forum before realizing this forum even existed. How I wish I had found this site a few weeks ago, before I surrendered my precious babies to YTNR!

I know YTNR to be a reputable rescue, and I'm confident they have my two babies' best interests at heart, but I feel that I was mislead and misinformed about the surrender and adoption process, treated with little regard to my distress at the actual surrender, and now shunned by the president. I had researched the organization beforehand and had found no negatives, so I'm wondering if my case is an isolated one.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
I ♥ Armani & Chloe
Donating Member

I don't have any experience with them. What is your problem with them? A lot of people don't understand rescues policies- once you surrender a pup to them, it is their pup and there is no turning back- this is to protect the pups and the rescue.

Armani & Chloe
ArmaniMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

There are a few YTNR foster moms on this site. Maybe they can explain to you how rescues work.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

I foster for YTNR occasionally. I can tell you that once you surrender your pup, it is no longer yours to decide where they will end up, or what their fate is. You legally signed over ownership, there is nothing you can do. There are other options you could have taken, for example, rehomed them on your own, that way you would have had control of who, when and how much, but in the meantime while you are finding a new home for your pup, you are responsible for all medical costs. After you surrendered you pup to YTNR or any rescue, they take care of the costs associated with caring for the dog.

Why did you decide to surrender your dog anyway?

btw, be glad that YTNR took in your dog in the first place. Many many rescues out there now are completely full and can't take in any more dogs, or don't have any money to care for them. My BIL had to put down his bull terrier bc he had kidney failure, and no BT rescues would take him in.

Last edited by capt_noonie; 05-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Yorkie Talker

Thank you for responding, everyone, but I am especially happy to hear from someone who has actually fostered for YTNR.

Believe me, I AM grateful YTNR took my dogs. And I don't have any doubts about their intentions - I would have never surrendered my dogs if I had believed them to be anything other than honorable.

My dogs came from a suspected puppy mill and have issues from that time period. After a year in our house, they were still terrified of my husband, though he had never done anything to warrant that. They loved me completely and would have been perfectly content were it only the two of them and myself, but they just couldn't get along with my husband at all. Yes, they had other issues - not completely housebroken, lots of barking, distrust of...most people, actually - but I could deal with all that. It was just their extreme fear...and knowing that they could never be completely happy as long as they were living in the same house with someone they so feared. And since my husband and I work completely opposite shifts, they were alone with him half the time, and I knew they stayed hidden in the basement all that time. That was no way to live, and I wanted a better home for them, even though it meant I would be losing my babies I love so dearly.

Actually, I DID think that I was rehoming them on my own, by placing an ad through YTNR's website - that was the impression I received from the wording on the surrender application:

"This page is for the posting of Yorkshire Terriers in need of a home. Postings from rescue organizations, individuals, and shelters are welcome. Puppies or dogs for sale may not be posted here. This is not a breeder page. If you are selling a dog, you need to post it somewhere else. The asking of an adoption fee to cover veterinary care and other rescue costs is not considered "selling". Please send me an E-mail when the dog is adopted, so I can take your posting down."

So I was completely caught off guard the very next day when I received an email from YTNR saying they could pick the dogs up that day. When I replied, asking many questions, she answered, explaining briefly about YTNR and her association, saying that she would be the foster mom until a permanent home could be found, and intimated that she felt the dogs needed to be moved quickly. She also let me know that she would not rush my decision, but would be there when the time was right.

I "talked" via email to the president for about a week, asking many questions, and receiving answers to some. However, I was never informed of a contract, never informed that I would give up all my rights to my dogs and have no say in their future, and...horror of horrors...that my dogs may be euthanized if they were found to be unsuitable for placement!

I was in such an emotional state when I handed my babies over, that I could not read the contract, which she handed me, saying, "You can read this if you want." I really couldn't have read it had a gun been at my head - I was that upset and crying uncontrollably, crying literally so hard I could not breathe. I should have said, "I can't read this, would you please read it to me?" But even then, I'm not sure I would have comprehended the words. What I DID see was IRREVOCABLE DECISION written in bold letters just above the space for my signature; I hesitated, asked her if that was true, she replied that it was, and with my heart in my throat, I signed. Even though those words brought new tears, I still assumed I would retain some rights, some say in where they were placed, etc. I wrongly assumed that I was merely signing that I could not change my mind about the actual surrender.

Hours later, at home, I was aghast when I was able to read the contract and found I would forever have NO SAY AT ALL in my dogs' futures.

I also later realized that, had I been in her shoes, I would NEVER have left someone in the state I was in sitting alone in a parking lot. I would have stayed there until that person's tears were gone or offered to drive her home.I mean, seriously, I was completely out-of-my-mind distraught.

That same day, I remembered a few things I should have told the president/foster mom about - small medical issues, foods they enjoy, personal traits, etc. - and I emailed her, asking how they seemed. She assured me they were "very happy" and playing with her other dog. I didn't doubt that would be playing with the other dog, but happy? I know my dogs, their timidity, the bewilderment and fright they must have been feeling, and I asked her to please tell me the truth, that I appreciated a kind lie, but needed to know the truth.

We exchanged one or two more emails, and she reiterated that the dogs loved playing with her dog, but she said they had a "fear of attachment" and that she was moving them to a foster home in another state. She was trying, she said, to place both dogs together, as I had begged her to do, and felt that they may need to be in foster care for a longer than average period. But that "fear of attachment" was a phrase that has been haunting me, and that made me worry about the "euthanasia" clause... I had previously asked specifically what would happen if a permanent home could not be found for my dogs, and she had assured me they would stay in the foster home forever, but this euthanasia thing was haunting me.

She has never answered my last email, sent more than a week ago, in which I expressed my concerns about that.

On one hand, I know she has no legal reason to talk to me - I DID (unknowingly and perhaps ignorantly) give up all my rights. But on the other hand, she knows how very much I love them, she saw the distress I was in, and I just feel like the courteous thing to do would be to answer my emails.

Again, I am not trying to attack YTNR or the president personally. I am optimistic that my dogs are in a better place and I think she will do what she feels best for them. I just feel that I was ill-informed and should have been warned of the contract and its contents before meeting in such an emotional state that I was powerless to do anything about it.

Is this a usual practice for rescues or for YTNR specifically, and if not, I'd just like to know why I was treated differently.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
YT 500 Club Member

I just looked at the YTNR website. Emma and Bode are the little ones you are referring to, correct? They have the sweetest little faces - I do believe they will be adopted together and go to a good home - those faces make your heart melt! I hope someone adopts them together...how could you not? They look like they are best buddies!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Yorkie Talker

Yes, Emma and Bode are brother and sister and completely devoted to each other. When Emma was attacked and almost killed by a large dog last year, Bode never left her side from the time she arrived home following surgery until the day she was able to move around freely. Thanks, I do so hope they'll be placed together, and I do think YTNR will try to do so. I just worry because they DO have issues, and they need a lot of love and attention.

Sorry if this sounds whiny or like I'm making accusations. I just truly don't understand why I wasn't better informed. Or maybe YTNR assumed that I was familiar with rescues and would know the procedure. I know that I should just chalk it up to ignorance and stupidity on my part, and I'm not trying to get them back. But I just need to know what happens to them. I didn't give them up because I didn't want them or couldn't afford them or handle them - I let them go because I love them so much. They're my babies.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLeroy View Post
Yes, Emma and Bode are brother and sister and completely devoted to each other. When Emma was attacked and almost killed by a large dog last year, Bode never left her side from the time she arrived home following surgery until the day she was able to move around freely. Thanks, I do so hope they'll be placed together, and I do think YTNR will try to do so. I just worry because they DO have issues, and they need a lot of love and attention.

Sorry if this sounds whiny or like I'm making accusations. I just truly don't understand why I wasn't better informed. Or maybe YTNR assumed that I was familiar with rescues and would know the procedure. I know that I should just chalk it up to ignorance and stupidity on my part, and I'm not trying to get them back. But I just need to know what happens to them. I didn't give them up because I didn't want them or couldn't afford them or handle them - I let them go because I love them so much. They're my babies.

It must of been so hard to make that decision, my heart goes out to you. I think i would have to give up my DH before my babies
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I sorry your so sad, but I think you did the right thing, I don't think anything was done to you , to hurt you. You have to understand people who do rescue know what they are doing and if she were to stay in the parking lot, console you it would prolong the process, only make it harder and cause the dogs more stress seeing you crying and upset.
I think deep down you know you made a good decision and I am quite sure any rescue would make EVERY effort possible to keep the dogs together.
Remember they are a " rescue" your dogs do not sound like the type that would have to be put down, Im sure that clause is in the contract for dogs that have serious illness or severe aggressive issues, even with that they will do everything possible to find a home , hire a trainer, get 2nd opinions. They are a " rescue ' they are there to help dogs find homes, get vetting that owners cant afford etc.
Please try to think positive and hope and pray that your dogs find a wonderful forever home, maybe with a single woman so they dont have to hide. IM so sorry your feeling so upset
Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Gidget & Sidney's Mom
Donating Member

I'm sure it was very hard to do this act of love. I commend you for your selflessness. From what I have seen here at YT, rescues go to great lengths and expense to save the pups. Ppl from this site have answered calls from rescues when they needed help with a special needs pup to get it the expensive medical care it needed or to transport it to where it could be helped. I think they will take very good care of your babies, no matter the cost or need.
gidget529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Yorkie Talker

Yes, you're all right. I'm sorry I even posted this - one day I'm resigned to it and the next day, I'm a complete wreck.

I've tried putting myself in the foster mom's shoes. While I know I would have handled it differently, I guess I can understand her motives. She IS, after all, there for the dogs, not for the parents, and thank goodness we have people like her and all the other agencies and foster parents in this country to take in these helpless little ones. Maybe she's had enough experience to know when it's time for the parent (OMG, I almost said biological parent!) to let go, or to MAKE the parent let go. Maybe she's not answering my emails any longer because she knows how hard it is for me to let go and feels if we keep conversing, it will only prolong that. It's definitely the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Yes, I would have handled it differently, but the bottom line is that I have entrusted my babies to her care, and I'm confident she will do everything that can be done to ensure their happiness and well-being.

I do wish that I could just see them from time to time, not in person, for that would be far too traumatic for all of us, but just see some photos or a video, or even just hear from their new foster mom how they're doing, if they're playing, if they're still together, if they're afraid of anyone in their new home. That probably won't happen, and I have to resign myself to that. It's just hard.

I think my therapist will be eating filet mignon and drinking champagne for a while.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Just a note from someone who has rescued and worked with dogs to let you know that usually they are so busy trying to care for and help the dog with its adjustments in addition to other dogs and families and work, they just may not have time right now to spare. You made your decision as hard as it was and I would trust the love of the people who do this that your dogs are being cared for and made as happy as is possible even if they don't have any time for you right now. The first few weeks can be pretty intense with some dogs and it takes a great deal of time working with them - often to the exclusion of your own regular life! Euthanasia for rescued dogs is the last thing a rescuer ever has on their mind! Thank God for rescue as without them, so many dogs would have to go to Animal Control shelters and maybe never get a second chance. Try to rest in the knowledge that whoever has your dog is devoted to dogs and giving them as great a life as they can possibly have - that should count for a lot.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
Yorkie Talker

Love

Thanks to all who responded. You've been a huge comfort to me.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

I am just seeing this and the only thing I can say is that I am so sorry for your pain. I cannot even begin to imagine having to give up one of my furbabies. I hope that you will find some peace with the decision that you made and I pray that your babies end up in a wonderful furever home.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote