YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Yorkie News & Site Announcements
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
ldvpool7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianola Iowa
Posts: 232
Default [News]HIT IT HARD: Injured dog stirs up emotions, Indianola Iowa Record Hearld 8.12.9

Sometimes we don’t realize how great we are affected by events. As innocent bystanders we are sometimes thrown in to a situation in which we have no idea how we will react. I told my wife, Susie I was going to run some errands. About 30 minutes later I came back in the house grabbed a cup of coffee and stood in the kitchen craving a cigarette. I haven’t smoked in four years. What’s wrong?” Susie asked. Suddenly the tears flowed from my eyes and I couldn’t speak. “What happened?” she asked again, this time with the sound of panic in her voice.
Then I became upset with myself for my obvious emotional reaction and told her I can’t believe how affected I was by what happened and finally got the story out from under my emotions.
I had only driven about four blocks when I pulled over. There in the street, along busy Iowa Highway 92 a woman was standing over something. As I jumped out of the truck, I suddenly realized it was a dog.
“Are you all right? Do you need any help?” I yelled as I ran across the highway. This poor woman was obviously distraught. The dog, a beautiful little Yorkie, was lying helpless in the gutter. She thought the dog was dead and suddenly it started to get up. It was bleeding profusely from the mouth and was staggering.
“I was just driving when I saw a car hit this little dog. I don’t think the driver knew they had hit the dog and it drove off.” The woman told me. She was trying to keep the dog from wandering further into the street and protect it from the very busy oncoming traffic. I could feel the emotion in her voice as she too, felt helpless.
I started directing traffic away from the lane. Someone had come from one of the businesses along Hwy. 92 and he called the Kiya Koda Humane Society. I continued to redirect traffic when one car pulled up behind us and a young man and his daughter got out. The man came over and started to examine the dog. “I’m a veterinarian,” he said.
He carefully examined the little creature and was explaining his concerns to us about the dog’s injuries. He was concerned about the brain swelling due to the trauma to the dog’s head. A couple of kids on bikes showed up. “That’s our dog,” the kids said. “We live across the street.” I think all of us were a little surprised at the lack of emotional reaction from the kids.
The vet asked the kids if their parents were home. “Yes,” the little girl said, “But my dad doesn’t want the dog anyway.” Upon hearing that, the poor woman who witnessed the accident burst into tears. I tried to console her but was afraid I was about to do the same.
A good journalist would have had the names of all parties involved and would have been able to give an objective account of the accident. I didn’t get anyone’s name. That’s why I’m a columnist. I was so caught up in the emotion of the entire event I don’t think I could have even given my name.
Folks from Kiya Koda arrived and the vet left because there wasn’t much he could do without the permission of the owners. Then the police arrived and the kid’s father finally arrived. When I left it was up to the human society, the police and the father to resolve everything. I jumped in my truck and came straight home. I felt like someone had just ripped my heart out.
I want to thank the veterinarian who stopped and gave his assistance and the woman who witnessed the event for stopping and trying to protect the little dog. It was obvious to me, the vet and the woman that this innocent and loving little creature didn’t have much of a chance in life with this family.
I called the humane society the next day and they said the dog is recovering and one of the business owners who came out to help during the accident said they would take the dog if the family doesn’t want him back.
Just as I’m certain some people should never be allowed to have children, I am firmly convinced that some folks should never be allowed to have a pet.

Bob Kling is a regular columnist for the RHT and an Indianola resident.
Reprinted with permission from Bob Kling, RHT
__________________
Mom to Carlie Rocky
ldvpool7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

WidgetBucks - Trend Watch - WidgetBucks.com
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
4doggiemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KS
Posts: 3,288
Default

Saying this with tears....how can anyone be so cold hearted? Blessings to those who stopped to help. May the little Yorkie find a new home and be loved all of its remaining years. ~Joanne~
__________________
Joanne Eli ChipperEva Snowboy
Rosie(R.I.P. 1996-July 29, 2013) Cocoa(R.I.P 1998-April 26, 2012):
4doggiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Donating YT 30K Club Member
 
Patti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 35,509
Blog Entries: 6
Default

So sad that people can be so heartless but good there are still good people around.
__________________
Cali Pixie Roxie : RIP Nikki; RIP Maya;RIP my sweet Dixie girl 1/17/08
http://callipuppyscastle.bravehost.com/index.html
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member
 
kjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 18,441
Default

Unbelievable! I apologize ... I am at a loss for words at this time. Prayers and hugs to the poor little dog, and blessings to the rescuers. Shame on the owners.
__________________
Kat PeekABooTinkerbellSapphire & Infinity
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
danjr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arcanum, Ohio
Posts: 854
Default

How could anyone be sp heartlessPrayers for that poor little dog
danjr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
♥Max & Lily♥
Donating Member
 
orlnurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando, FL, US
Posts: 2,186
Default

I hope the little dog makes it and can be with a loving family. Some people should never never own pets!
__________________
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Lesley, Maximilian & Lily Rae
orlnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
tjdmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 5,847
Default

So sad.... it reminds me of years ago when I hit a dog myself. He just bolted out in front of me and there was nothing I could do! I stopped immediately and the owner came out and was saying something like dumb dog. The poor things was obviously dead and the owner just picked him up by the collar and carried him back towards their property. It just broke my heart and I cried all the way to work but especially because he deserved to have someone grieve for him and it seemed that no one cared.
tjdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
AbbysMom08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,156
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doggiemama View Post
Saying this with tears....how can anyone be so cold hearted? Blessings to those who stopped to help. May the little Yorkie find a new home and be loved all of its remaining years. ~Joanne~


I sat here sobbing as I was reading this.
I just don't know how anyone could be so stone cold hearted. This just rips my heart to pieces.
Will give my Abby an extra hug tonight.
__________________
Jan, Mommy to Abby

AbbysMom08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
delicatepuzzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Posts: 603
Default

Oh my goodness that is so ridiculous. I can relate to the owner of "a dog that runs out the house when guests walk out/in the door", it always makes me feel like a bad mommy (is he trying to run away from me?).

this story just breaks my heart.
delicatepuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Donating Yorkie Yakker
 
joesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NewYork
Posts: 401
Default

I am reading this with tears in my eyes.. I will never understand how people can be so cruel and heartless...Sometimes I think something is wrong with me because I am more compassionate towards animals then Humans, but then I hear something like this and I realize why!
__________________
Mommy to Joe Lainee and skin teen Sam
My Baby Blossom Mommy loves You & misses you so much..xoxoxo
RIP My Love
joesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
YT Addict
 
Kenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 367
Default

This immediately made me cry. I am so heart broken for this little dog. I don't know how some one could be so cold hearted. I pray this yorkie makes it and is soon loved like they should be.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Donating YT 1000 Club Member
 
manina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orlando/IL
Posts: 1,223
Unhappy Omg !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldvpool7 View Post
Sometimes we don’t realize how great we are affected by events. As innocent bystanders we are sometimes thrown in to a situation in which we have no idea how we will react. I told my wife, Susie I was going to run some errands. About 30 minutes later I came back in the house grabbed a cup of coffee and stood in the kitchen craving a cigarette. I haven’t smoked in four years. What’s wrong?” Susie asked. Suddenly the tears flowed from my eyes and I couldn’t speak. “What happened?” she asked again, this time with the sound of panic in her voice.
Then I became upset with myself for my obvious emotional reaction and told her I can’t believe how affected I was by what happened and finally got the story out from under my emotions.
I had only driven about four blocks when I pulled over. There in the street, along busy Iowa Highway 92 a woman was standing over something. As I jumped out of the truck, I suddenly realized it was a dog.
“Are you all right? Do you need any help?” I yelled as I ran across the highway. This poor woman was obviously distraught. The dog, a beautiful little Yorkie, was lying helpless in the gutter. She thought the dog was dead and suddenly it started to get up. It was bleeding profusely from the mouth and was staggering.
“I was just driving when I saw a car hit this little dog. I don’t think the driver knew they had hit the dog and it drove off.” The woman told me. She was trying to keep the dog from wandering further into the street and protect it from the very busy oncoming traffic. I could feel the emotion in her voice as she too, felt helpless.
I started directing traffic away from the lane. Someone had come from one of the businesses along Hwy. 92 and he called the Kiya Koda Humane Society. I continued to redirect traffic when one car pulled up behind us and a young man and his daughter got out. The man came over and started to examine the dog. “I’m a veterinarian,” he said.
He carefully examined the little creature and was explaining his concerns to us about the dog’s injuries. He was concerned about the brain swelling due to the trauma to the dog’s head. A couple of kids on bikes showed up. “That’s our dog,” the kids said. “We live across the street.” I think all of us were a little surprised at the lack of emotional reaction from the kids.
The vet asked the kids if their parents were home. “Yes,” the little girl said, “But my dad doesn’t want the dog anyway.” Upon hearing that, the poor woman who witnessed the accident burst into tears. I tried to console her but was afraid I was about to do the same.
A good journalist would have had the names of all parties involved and would have been able to give an objective account of the accident. I didn’t get anyone’s name. That’s why I’m a columnist. I was so caught up in the emotion of the entire event I don’t think I could have even given my name.
Folks from Kiya Koda arrived and the vet left because there wasn’t much he could do without the permission of the owners. Then the police arrived and the kid’s father finally arrived. When I left it was up to the human society, the police and the father to resolve everything. I jumped in my truck and came straight home. I felt like someone had just ripped my heart out.
I want to thank the veterinarian who stopped and gave his assistance and the woman who witnessed the event for stopping and trying to protect the little dog. It was obvious to me, the vet and the woman that this innocent and loving little creature didn’t have much of a chance in life with this family.
I called the humane society the next day and they said the dog is recovering and one of the business owners who came out to help during the accident said they would take the dog if the family doesn’t want him back.
Just as I’m certain some people should never be allowed to have children, I am firmly convinced that some folks should never be allowed to have a pet.

Bob Kling is a regular columnist for the RHT and an Indianola resident.
Reprinted with permission from Bob Kling, RHT
Thank u for stoping to help ! I feel so sorry and mad at the same time to think owners will just not give these poor animal a change with another family take the pet to animals rescue or a no kill shelter, don't throw it out in the street.
I feel sorry for those kids on what they r learning from their father. That is animal cruelty and he should have gotten a fine and hell no he shouldn't get that dog back, r they high !!!!.
Poor thing! I"ll pray for him and all those that stop and try to help him.
I hope and wish he finds a loving family.
manina,miley,max
manina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Currently Suspended!
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nun Ya
Posts: 80
Cry

Just read my signature line and that'll explain my position.

Thanks for the post.

Matthias
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
ldvpool7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianola Iowa
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Just read my signature line and that'll explain my position.

Thanks for the post.

Matthias
I understand your thoughts that is why I had to share this story from my home town. What a miserable example of a father.....my husband looks great and is GREAT and he adores our pups, Carlie and Rocky.

DV
__________________
Mom to Carlie Rocky
ldvpool7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
 
JennyLeroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 152
Default

People are just oblivious and selfish and I don't understand it.

God bless you sir for your caring heart. If only love could save animals that are neglected and even tortured.
JennyLeroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2013 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153