Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|04-07-2009, 08:18 PM||#1|
Donating YT 4000 Club Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
[News] Pet Ownership Statistics
U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics
* There are approximately 74.8 million owned dogs in the United States
* Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households own at least one dog
* Most owners (63 percent) own one dog
* Twenty-five percent of owners own two dogs
* Twelve percent of owners own three or more dogs
* On average, owners have almost two dogs (1.7)
* The proportion of male to female dogs is even
* Ten percent of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter
* On average, dog owners spent $219 on veterinary visits (vaccine, well visits) annually
* Seventy-five percent of owned dogs are spayed or neutered
* There are approximately 88.3 million owned cats in the United States
* Nearly 34 percent of U.S. households (or 38.4 million) own at least one cat
* Fifty-six percent of owners own more than one cat
* On average, owners have two cats (2.3)
* More female cats are owned than male cats (73 percent vs. 63 percent respectively)
* Eighteen percent of owned cats were adopted from an animal shelter
* Cat owners spent an average of $175 on routine veterinary visits
* Eighty-seven percent of owned cats are spayed or neutered
U.K. pet statistics
* There are 27 million pets in the UK with dogs and cats being the animal of choice for pet lovers with over 7.3 and 7.2 million across the UK respectively. (The UKís Top Ten Pets can be found in the notes below)
* 39% of Londonís pet owners purchase their pet for companionship, despite living in the UKís highest populated city.
* 60% of single people in the UK buy a pet for companionship Ė 39% of whom have replaced their partner with a pet
* 21% of pet owners have wanted a pet since childhood, and almost of half of people living in the North East have wanted a pet since their early years
* The East Midlands has the most pet lovers, with 14% of the pet population living in the heart of the UK, compared to only 4% of the population residing in Wales.
* 39% of London pet owners feel the need for companionship despite having over 7.5 million neighbours across the city
* 21% of owners bought their pet for companionship, compared to only 5% who have their pet for security
* Over a quarter (27%) of the UKís pets were bought or acquired from an animal welfare or rescue centre compared to 20% from a pet shop
Australia Pet Ownership Statistics
* 12 million Australians are associated with pets.
* 63% of the 7.5 million households in Australia own pets.
* Australia has one of the highest incidence of pet ownership in the world.
* Typically, the major carer of the pet is female, married with children, living in the suburbs and most likely employed.
* 91% of pet owners report feeling 'very close' to their pet, reinforcing that pets are an integral member of the family unit, however constituted.
* Pets were a normal part of childhood for more than 83% of Australians.
* Of the Australians who do not currently own a pet, 53% would like to do so in the future.
Loved by Bubba & Roxy
Holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come
| Welcome Guest! |
Join today and remove this ad!
WidgetBucks - Trend Watch - WidgetBucks.com
|04-08-2009, 04:32 PM||#2|
YT 500 Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Good post! I like reading things like this. I was shocked to find out only 10% of the dogs in the US are adopted from shelters! I am happy to say that 2 out of our 3 dogs came from a shelter. I drove over 5 hours one way at 35 weeks pregnant just to get my Winston four years ago. (not the best idea because I delivered my daughter 2 days later)
Shelly & Fancy♥