Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers. |
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
|10-12-2010, 07:40 AM||#1|
Donating YT 2000 Club Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Carolina
Halloween Chocolate a Serious Threat to Pets
MONDAY, Oct. 11 (HealthDay News) -- Chocolate Halloween candy may be a treat for children but poses a serious threat to pets, warns an expert.
Pets who consume chocolate can experience vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and urination, irregular heartbeat, tremors, seizures and even death, said Susan Nelson, a Kansas State University veterinarian. These problems are mainly caused by a substance in chocolate called theobromine.
Different types of chocolate have varying concentrations of theobromine. Baking chocolate contains the most, semisweet and milk chocolate sport a medium amount, and white chocolate has the least, Nelson explained in a university news release.
If your pet consumes a large quantity of chocolate, you should call a veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately, Nelson said.
"Chocolate consumption is a very common problem among pets, dogs especially," but it can also harm cats, birds, rats and ferrets, Nelson said in the news release. "It is important to recognize that individual reactions vary by pets, but it is best to assume your pet is one of the sensitive ones and not delay in seeking advice from your veterinarian. Be aware of the chocolate sources in your house, and tell any new dog owner about this potential threat to their pet."
In order to protect pets, she suggests keeping all foods out of their reach and confining pets during family gatherings and parties so that guests don't feed them.
Halloween Chocolate a Serious Threat to Pets - Yahoo! News
This is a neat little tool that calculates how much of each type of chocolate is toxic by weight:
The Chocolate Chart Interactive - National Geographic Magazine
|10-12-2010, 08:38 AM||#2|
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central MA
When RU was about 8 months old he had chocolate poisoning! I didnt eve realize he had gotten into chocolate. It was actually about two years ago to the day! He had been vomiting all night(Saturday of course no Vet ) then he started acting funny, just couldnt sit still, was very hyper which was unusual for him! The vomit actually smelled like chocolate but was clear. Finally I looked up his symptoms at around two in the morning and realized it was just like chocolate poisoning, his heart was beating so fast I couldn't even count it so my son and I jumped in the car in a horrible rain storm (my husband was at a retreat that weekend) and drove to Tufts Emergency Clinic. I had him all wrapped up and prayed the whole time we drove there (not only for RU but for us too, it was so nasty out!) They took him in right away and he DID have chocolate poisoning! They gave him charcoal and IV's and he came home the next day! He almost died and it was the scarest night of his life! Not to mention mine! Oh....where did he get the chocolate from? My son had gotten an Easter Basket from his girlfriends mother back in APRIL! He never ate the candy and RU had been investigating in his room in the attic! I found the empty wrapper to a Russell Stover bunny while cleaning a few months after that! Now I panic if just one M&M gets dropped on the floor!
|10-12-2010, 08:48 AM||#3|
Poppy's Mamma ♥
Join Date: Jun 2010
Blog Entries: 3
Chocolate poisoning can be very serious, and unfortunatley many people dont know how harmful it can be to dogs.
It dosnt help that dogs seem to love chocolate so I think this thread is a great way to educate people.
Especially at this time of year!
Rachael & Poppy
|10-12-2010, 08:57 AM||#4|
Furbutts = LOVE
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Blog Entries: 2
~ A friend told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn. ~
°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°