YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > Sick & Injured / Emergencies Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
YT Addict

Exclamation Canine Vasculitis and Pentoxifylline-need advice

Jenna has now been diagnosed with some kind of vasculitis (most likely systemic since it involves more than just the skin rash she's had off and on for over two weeks now).
My vet wants to use pentoxifylline on her, but having read up on how it is a relative to theobromine I am terrified! Is this actually safe for her??

We think the vasculitis could've been brought on either by a food (allergy) or some drug she's had already (she's been on chlorpheniramine to control rash/itching that she reacted to, methyl-prednisolone that seemed to cause stomach bleeding, sucralfate that caused sever stomach pain and anorexia, Pepcid AC, cerenia injections for nausea and also benadryl-the last of which she seems to tolerate fine).
This drug will have to be specially compounded for her and they're going to use small doses at first to be sure she doesn't react...but honest to God I am thinking she's had enough drugs in the last two weeks...do I really want to expose her to something that we know is related to a chemical deadly to dogs??
We already know she has to eat nothing but hypoallergenic dog food for the rest of her life. So is there any chance that she can come back from the vasculitis just by managing her diet and not using any further medications? Or is there someting safer that is NOT a steroid since she is especially sensitive to them? (She seems to have sensitivities to a lot of drugs and I don't want to risk her health further!)
Pentoxifylline is also supposed to cause nausea and vomiting, for a start, and heart/nervous system issues in the extreme, but she can't be on any further drugs to coat her stomach because of possible interactions.
Somehow I think this is OTT...can anyone tell me if there is any other way we can approach this?
They can't get the drug today, they have to wait till tomorrow...but I really need an answer now. Please help. I don't want to put my baby through anything unnecessary, she's been through enough!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
No Longer a Member

I wish I had an answer. I have never heard of this. Praying for you all.
SusieQ36305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
♡Huey's Human♡
Donating Member

The drug you are talking about is used in people to improve blood flow, kinda like a blood thinner, and I can see where that might be helpful in chronic vasculitis, but Jenna sounds more like an acute vasculitis. I, personally, would be more interested in determining the actual cause, if possible, and I would ask the vet to check a sed rate or c reactive protein to determine the extent of the inflammation. You said she sensitive to corticosteroids, and that is the most recommended treatment for inflammation. Has the vet tried any NSAIDS? She might tolerate that better than the steroid, but they are still hard on the stomach. Also, has the vet checked a globulin level to see how well her immune system is functioning? Vasculitis is an autoimmune disorder and a dose of gamma globulin might stop the immune response that Jenna is having. I am unsure with dogs, but these are some treatments used in people. Keep us updated! Keeping you and Jenna in my prayers.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
YT Addict

Thank you for your response, Marhcarter. I am literally going out of my mind here.
I think they'd done some more blood testing and found her levels to be good as far as red cells, he'd mentioned something else but I can't recall what it was now. (I already have a terrible memory but all the stress this last two weeks...I'm shot!)
He said she would only need to be on the medication for two weeks...does that sound right?
He seemed to indicate just a general systemic vasculitis, she doesn't have sores on her ears (at least she didn't when I took her in, they were just red with a rash that won't resolve completely) but the pits of her legs where minimally scabby and red. (Usually that's where she always chews when itchy, but he says she's not scratching anymore.) They actually have gotten the rash, which was body-wide originally, down to just a few places (ears and leg pits) but what worries me is she seems so sensitive to any and all meds she's already been given.
They have to get her off the famotidine she's also been given before administering the pentoxifylline due to drug interactions...THAT makes me feel even more nervous!
She's actually been seen by two vets' offices. One had her on Medrol originally and that caused bloody vomit/stool that she was then put on sucralfate for, then Pepcid AC and benadryl during the whole last ten days or so. She's also had cerenia for vomiting and nausea. She hasn't eaten properly for almost two weeks.
She is eating the hypoallergenic dog food they have given her, but the appetite is still off. I worry this medicine, which they want to administer orally, will make her too sick to eat again and the current vet seeing her says she can go without eating for three days as long as she drinks water. (she is almost 5 years old) But she's already had almost two weeks of not being able to eat properly after first rashing up on 3/11 after eating her breakfast. It's just gone downhill from there.
I am just not sure about all this. We hoped to bring her home tomorrow, but if they give her this medicine (we live thirty miles from town on a bad snowy road) and she has a reaction she could die before I get her back there.

But now I wonder if they know what they are doing? She's had no scans to test the internal damage, if any-that I know of, so how can they be certain this is what it is? The vet supposedly consulted an internist, but I have no idea who that was or if this other doctor even saw Jenna.
They are already closed for the day. I can try calling the first thing and telling them to hold off treatment, but then what??
I am so confused. And angry. I know they care about my dog...but everything I have read so far is very contradictory to their treatment plan.
Arrrgghhh!

ETA: the reason for her problems is supposed to be a food allergy. She cannot take NSAID's like metacam because of her stomach problems since becoming ill, plus she began to have reactions to metacam after throwing her back out a few months ago and that was the treatment given. She couldn't tolerate it after a few days on it.

Last edited by Jenna AK; 03-24-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Jenna AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

My son's dog had cutaneous vasculitis and was on prednisone for 4 weeks and it cleared up; but she did suffer permanent hair loss in some areas.

I have a foster pup who recently had it....he was on prednisone for 4 weeks and his has cleared up as well. He had it on his ears. I believe there is a thread somewhere on YT about him but I cannot find it.

Lisa and Pic's pup Piccolo had it and she was treated with pentoxifylline.

I would not mess with it and would give what they are suggesting. It gets worse if left untreated! As for finding the cause, I would not be playing around doing that because this is a condition that will worsen while you are doing it and you may never know what caused it.

Good luck!

Last edited by ladyjane; 03-24-2013 at 04:38 PM.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

Also, vets know this by looking at it. It does not require extensive testing for a diagnosis. If you are so uncertain, perhaps a consult with a dermatologist will put your mind at ease; but I would not be putting the treatment off for too long.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
YT Addict

Thanks ladyjane.
Okay, so it is a safe medicine then? That's what I need to know. Was just a bit alarming to see what it was related to.
Yeah, Jenna has bad reactions to steroids. Medrol may have been what caused her bleeding in the first place.
I just want the poor wee bub feeling better and back home for good. I can imagine she is wondering where mummy has gone and why she hasn't come back for her.
Although I understand she's getting lots of attention from the staff there. And at least she doesn't have me standing over her wringing my hands.
Does the two weeks sound long enough? And if it should cause her to feel nauseated or vomit, can they give her the cerenia again to combat that?
Perhaps we should tell them to keep her another day to be certain there are no reactions?
I just can't understand how this all came from either something she ate or a medicine that didn't agree with her. What a nightmare! I feel for anyone else who's ever had to go through this.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #8

It often happens after vaccines. Did she have any recently? They honestly don't know most of the time what caused it.
I would say treat...just make sure you get something for her tummy to prevent any side effects. Speak with the vet about that.
My vet did consider using the pentoxyfilline but ended up with the prednisone.
Good luck!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
♡Huey's Human♡
Donating Member

They may just plan to use the Trental for 2 weeks to improve her blood flow during this acute attack and get those hot spots cleared up. You said the NSAIDS caused her to have bloody diarrhea, but have they tried any injectable types instead of oral? That would prevent the irritation to the stomach and intestines while still providing the medication. I hate that the sucralafate upset her tummy. That is usually a really benign medication and well tolerated, (In fact, Huey ate a 1 gram tablet that my husband dropped and had absolutely no reaction at all) and is used in the treatment of bleeding ulcers.
Living so far from the vet and with her drug sensitivities, I would be worried, too. Can they give the 1st dose in the morning and then watch her for a few hours before sending her home? That way she wouldn't have to stay the night, but you would have more reassurance regarding potential reactions and she would be monitored if she did have a reaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
It often happens after vaccines. Did she have any recently? They honestly don't know most of the time what caused it.
I would say treat...just make sure you get something for her tummy to prevent any side effects. Speak with the vet about that.
My vet did consider using the pentoxyfilline but ended up with the prednisone.
Good luck!
I agree with your assessment and to start treatment immediately. I just get caught up in the diagnostics and was thinking about prevention of future episodes.

Last edited by Marhcarter; 03-24-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Marhcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
♡Huey's Human♡
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
My son's dog had cutaneous vasculitis and was on prednisone for 4 weeks and it cleared up; but she did suffer permanent hair loss in some areas.

I have a foster pup who recently had it....he was on prednisone for 4 weeks and his has cleared up as well. He had it on his ears. I believe there is a thread somewhere on YT about him but I cannot find it.

Lisa and Pic's pup Piccolo had it and she was treated with pentoxifylline.

I would not mess with it and would give what they are suggesting. It gets worse if left untreated! As for finding the cause, I would not be playing around doing that because this is a condition that will worsen while you are doing it and you may never know what caused it.

Good luck!
Ladyjane, You have such practical experience and knowledge and I always learn something from your responses! Thank you. I didnt realize vasculitis was so common Iin dogs, and your question about the vaccines makes perfect sense since we seem to have had quite a few bad vaccine reactions on this forum recently. scary...
Old 03-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marhcarter View Post
Ladyjane, You have such practical experience and knowledge and I always learn something from your responses! Thank you. I didnt realize vasculitis was so common Iin dogs, and your question about the vaccines makes perfect sense since we seem to have had quite a few bad vaccine reactions on this forum recently. scary...
haha...it is really not a common thing...BUT things like this just seem to happen to the pups in my care...
Luck of the draw I guess. Sometimes I just sit and ask WHY? It's not like I NEED to learn these things, ya know? It gets a bit expensive.

Oh, and as for the vaccine question...that is what we are sure happened to my son's pup...she had her DHPP just prior to getting this. The vet did think that was the cause.

Last edited by ladyjane; 03-24-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
YT Addict

The only injections she's had were the Cerenia. That's just this last week, not earlier in the month when she first became ill. The rash she has came on around the 11th of the month and has gotten alternately better and now worse.
I don't get her any inoculations (most are not needed in Alaska) and have been worried about her upcoming rabies in September. Guess we won't be doing that. (We're planning on moving out of state so I don't know how I'll get her on the plane without a certificate.)
Will deffo tell them to get some food in her first. Surprised they can't manage something IV, but that would be hard for us to administer so....
Thanks for the good luck wishes...I have a feeling we'll need them! 0_0

The metacam has not caused bloody diarrhea/vomit, the Medrol did. She had some stomach trouble after the metacam, if I remember correctly. I just know we were told not to give any more.
The sucralfate seemed to work at first (in fact every med she's had does, then goes south) but she would tremble and shake after a dose and you could hear her poor tummy gurgling away and her legs would jerk around like she was having cramps. After she went three days without pooping I feared it was all gathering somewhere it wasn't able to pass from.
I have not seen her in three days. I have no idea what her ears or pits look like today. When I took her in it seemed she had a rash that just didn't want to go. Plus she'd been up and down all night with racing heartbeat and hyperventilating...I was scared she would go into cardiac arrest. By the time we got to the vet that day, she was normal except for the rash and the not eating.
Something they've seen since she's been there must have convinced them she's got more going on.
I have Care Credit, so it's not like I can't pay for the treatment and hospital stays, but I think what worries me the most is whether they have a night nurse and if not, what happens if she reacts while everyone is gone? Or worse yet, doesn't make it at all and I never see her again.
It's just so hard. I wish I knew what happened so I could've prevented this. I know it's unlikely, but it doesn't stop me wishing.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

I won't leave mine overnight in any facility where there is no one there. Have you asked them?
As for them giving her the new med and watching her, I would think any reaction would show soon after the dose...but, if no one is there, I would take her home where you can watch her closely.
Be absolutely certain you have something for her tummy when you put her on the meds!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #14

Found the thread where I posted about Sammy. This is a picture of his one ear....looked dreadful.
The whole thread is very informative about this condition! It was started by another member with a pup who had it on her ears....

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/4081591-post38.html

Here is the beginning of the thread:

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sic...tting-off.html
Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
YT Addict

Thank you ladyjane, yes I did see that thread whilst searching the forum. Jenna ears did not look anything like that when I took her in on Friday. I hope to God they don't look like that now.

The only reason I would consider having them keep her is that we live so far out and we're currently getting another 2 inches of snow, making the road hazardous enough my OH won't drive it. Perhaps an arrangement can be made that she is transferred to the ER facility overnight, but that really will cost a bloody fortune. Their prices are unreasonable beyond belief.

I usually don't see reactions in her until the second or third dose of a new med. This is very troubling.
I will see if I can get the last pix I took of Jenna up on the forum. Her ears were reddened from the base to about halfway up the pinna.