View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #41
J-Mac
Yorkie Talker

Hello all!

My first post, so I won't make it too long.

As for size, I may have you all beat!

I have two yorkies, Rocky and Max. Rocky's the "big" brother - just over seven years old. Max is his "little brother" - a year and a half, and he recently weighed in at 15 lbs.! Rocky, by comparison, is a svelte 6.5.

Oh.....that's Max (or Mad Max!) over to the left - my avatar - when he was still a tiny thing.

Purchased from a breeder who was recommended by the person who runs a well-respected Yorkie Rescue. Well, sorta recommended. Actually another breeder was the recommeded one, but had no pups. She in turn recommended another breeder - a friend - who had two. I called back my friend at the rescue and she knew the second breeder also, but not for as long. So we went and had a look - the house was filled with beautiful Yorkies! One had such a cute light face and was mischevious as heck. Snapped him up! $800. Not a bad price.

I got my first dose of suspicion when I tried to get Max's record of shots. The brochure she had given me was woefully lacking specifics, but was from a reputable vet. I called the vet to find out just what shots had been given, and found out the pup was simply wormed and checked there. With seven others. Papers were to be mailed to me by the breeder, and no contract was given - she had run out and needed to get more printed.

On and on.....to make this story shorter, I'll get to the facts:

1) She hadn't bred Max, but a breeder in a nearby state had.
2) When I got inquisitive she got indignant and wanted Max back - yeah, right!
3) Wouldn't send papers - wanted to buy Max back again.
4) Found out that when I had told my friend at the rescue she had immediately put out an email to the Yorkie-L list that this breeder was brokering - thus her eagerness to get Max back!
5) My vet told me Max was older than we thought - had some "big doggie" teeth already! Maybe 16 weeks, not 10.
6) Breeder tried to say my contract gave her the power to take Max back if she didn't think we were "right" for him. I reminded her we didn't have a contract!
7) Breeder was EXTREMELY anxious about her rep now. Finally sent me Max's papers when I threatened to take action. I wouldn't give Max back - justed wanted the promised papers. That's when I found out who the breeder was. (Legit, by the way!)
8) Max grew big - quickly! Not your average Yorkie! Max climbed over gates; teased and baited Rocky - pretty much made a fool of him most of the time; caught soft "plush" little frisbees - four feet high!

Currently Max is the most athletic Yorkie I've ever seen. I say Yorkie because my vet swears he is. So does my groomer. So do his papers. I don't show or breed - just love them! He's also the smartest dog I've ever owned, and I've owned many retrievers---over many years. I thought Silkie for awhile, then took a good look at some Silkies - I don't think so.

There was never any intention to return him. Never took action against the breeder - best outcome there is we swap again: my money back for Max - and you know once you hold one, you're never letting go!

Besides, how many of you ever have to yell at your yorkie to get off the dining room table? (Yes, he can get there in one quick leap!)

And when Rocky hides, which he does often, in closets and the like - I just say, "Max, go find Rocky", and he sniffs, cocks his ears, then runs right to where Rocky's hiding and comes back and drags me to him!

I wonder sometimes if he's really an alien!

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. (BTW, as you can see in his avatar pic, he WAS once a cute little cuddly ball of fur!)
J-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!