YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Concord
Posts: 101
Default Booties? Necessary?

This is our first winter with Fabian up in New England. I really want to buy him booties to protect this little feet from the elements (snow and ice), sand, rock salt, etc. My feeling is that if I need boots outside, so does he. My husband disagrees and is procrastinating. Please help restore marital harmony and let me know what you do.
mrssabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

WidgetBucks - Trend Watch - WidgetBucks.com
Old 11-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
YT 2000 Club Member
 
Jkpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,047
Default

This is from alldogboots.com (wonderful site)

Weather Protection

Winter time in a snowy, rainy, and cold climate can be tough on a dogís paws. If your four-legged friend loves to play outside and craves his walks, a lot of time spent romping through ice and snow can cause a multitude of problems. These include causing the webbing in between their toes to split, and the build-up of little snow balls in the fur. A nice pair of snow boots with rubber soles not only provides them traction when they walk, but can protect their paws from a variety of injuries. Additionally, hazardous chemicals and salt that is thrown over the snow to melt it can get absorbed right through your dogís paws, potentially creating major problems.

I'm ordering boots from alldogboots because Piper and I are moving to Wisconsin and I know she'll need them absolutely...
Jkpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member
 
alaskayorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 30,598
Blog Entries: 53
Default

My Yorkies were born and raised in snow country, and I swear by booties. If hubby questions the need, ask him to look at pictures from the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race -- where Alaskan huskies bred for snow country wear booties to protect their feet!

When my Yorkies were pups, they were the most playful dogs ever in summer. Come winter, they started to balk on their walks. I tried coats and they helped, but they didn't embrace winter until I discovered booties. Not just any booties, but simple fleece booties without hard soles. I find dogs don't need hard soles, but they do appreciate getting their pads off the ice.

It takes a little conditioning to get them used to booties. At first, some throw a fit and you start questioning whether it's a good idea or not. But if you just lure them to a treat or a ball one step at a time, they slowly forget they have them on their feet and start appreciating winter.

The simpler the better, though, in my opinion. If you sew, make them yourself. A stretchy elastic velcro at top makes all the difference because they tend to want to fall off.

And you're right about salt. The dogs hate it.

Here are a few pics of my dogs in their booties just this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Booties? Necessary?-eddie2lewis_booties.jpg   Booties? Necessary?-img_6596.jpg   Booties? Necessary?-img_6536.jpg  
__________________
Mike ~ Doting Dad to Eddie, Jillie, Lucy (RIP), Rusty (RIP) and Jack (RIP). Check us out on YouTube

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 11-15-2017 at 12:28 AM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
YT 2000 Club Member
 
Jkpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,047
Default

You surely have cute and hardy babies! They gotta be tough living in Alaska and taking advantage of being outside! I'm hoping to introduce Pipe to her footwear when we're going for a walk---heck, Piper is so keen on cruisin' I think she'd wear high heels to get out and gogogo!!!
Jkpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
AllDogBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 7,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkpal View Post
This is from alldogboots.com (wonderful site)

Weather Protection

Winter time in a snowy, rainy, and cold climate can be tough on a dogís paws. If your four-legged friend loves to play outside and craves his walks, a lot of time spent romping through ice and snow can cause a multitude of problems. These include causing the webbing in between their toes to split, and the build-up of little snow balls in the fur. A nice pair of snow boots with rubber soles not only provides them traction when they walk, but can protect their paws from a variety of injuries. Additionally, hazardous chemicals and salt that is thrown over the snow to melt it can get absorbed right through your dogís paws, potentially creating major problems.

I'm ordering boots from alldogboots because Piper and I are moving to Wisconsin and I know she'll need them absolutely...
Happy to help! Contact me for assistance
__________________
I'm Karen - Devoted Mama to the Drama Boyz - Cooper & Max
www.alldogboots.com
AllDogBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 18,581
Default

If I walked mine in winter I would most definitely be using booties. My mom had a friend who took their dog for a walk in the winter that got salt from the roads on their paws and got sick and died. Iím also a fan of AllDogBoots.com. The owner is a member here and very helpful and nice.
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie Mae, Joey James and Penny Ann
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
Donating YT 3000 Club Member
 
matese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: E.Stroudsburg, Pa.
Posts: 45,232
Default

Walking dogs on streets or sidewalks that have been salted burn their paws, speaking from experience. When I lived in the city I had 3 I had to walk twice a day, winters were bad because of the salt, they would try walking on 3 legs because salt got on their paws, I would gather all 3 in my arms carry them to areas that were not salted then carry them back home. Their paws must be washed in warm water to ensure all salt is off their paws.
__________________
Joan, mom to Cody RIP Matese Schnae Kajon Kia forever in my A House Is Not A Home Without A Dog
matese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Yorkie Talker
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Concord
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDogBoots View Post
Happy to help! Contact me for assistance
Hi Karen, I e-mailed a few days ago on what size to get. Even the small boots seem so large for a 7.5 lb. Yorkie. I was looking a Pawtrexx by Barko Booties - Winter Traction Dog Boots Is this model overkill for such a small dog?
mrssabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
YT 2000 Club Member
 
Jkpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,047
Default

I would gather all 3 in my arms carry them to areas that were not salted then carry them back home
Sometimes for their safety and for our peace of mind, I think putting 'em in a Yorkie-ball (as in hamster ball) would make for a nice option!
Jkpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
AllDogBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 7,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssabes View Post
Hi Karen, I e-mailed a few days ago on what size to get. Even the small boots seem so large for a 7.5 lb. Yorkie. I was looking a Pawtrexx by Barko Booties - Winter Traction Dog Boots Is this model overkill for such a small dog?
The Pawtrexx will be huge for a Yorkie! I would view these instead: Black Waterproof Dog Rain or Snow Boots with Zippers

Measure this way: Place your dog's paw on a blank piece of paper and mark the front & back of the paw (include toenail) for length measurement. Measure the distance between the lines. Do the same on the left and right sides of the paw for width measurement. Do not trace the paw.
__________________
I'm Karen - Devoted Mama to the Drama Boyz - Cooper & Max
www.alldogboots.com
AllDogBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #11
Donating YT 500 Club Member
 
AllDogBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 7,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
My Yorkies were born and raised in snow country, and I swear by booties. If hubby questions the need, ask him to look at pictures from the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race -- where Alaskan huskies bred for snow country wear booties to protect their feet!

When my Yorkies were pups, they were the most playful dogs ever in summer. Come winter, they started to balk on their walks. I tried coats and they helped, but they didn't embrace winter until I discovered booties. Not just any booties, but simple fleece booties without hard soles. I find dogs don't need hard soles, but they do appreciate getting their pads off the ice.

It takes a little conditioning to get them used to booties. At first, some throw a fit and you start questioning whether it's a good idea or not. But if you just lure them to a treat or a ball one step at a time, they slowly forget they have them on their feet and start appreciating winter.

The simpler the better, though, in my opinion. If you sew, make them yourself. A stretchy elastic velcro at top makes all the difference because they tend to want to fall off.

And you're right about salt. The dogs hate it.

Here are a few pics of my dogs in their booties just this week.
Unfortunately fleece booties do not offer enough protection from the salt and harsh de-icing chemicals that many dogs in more urban areas will be bothered by. I'm sure they are good for Alaska though.
__________________
I'm Karen - Devoted Mama to the Drama Boyz - Cooper & Max
www.alldogboots.com
AllDogBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Yorkie Yakker
 
LaVcaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 64
Default

Why don't you all just use this? https://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secre...protection+wax
LaVcaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #13
Yorkie mom of 3
Donating YT Member
 
Lovetodream88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaPlata, Md
Posts: 18,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVcaM View Post
It dosenít work the same and definitely doesnít keep their paws warm. Also salt can get stuck to it nd on the paws.
__________________
Taylor, Veterinary Assistant
I Callie Mae, Joey James and Penny Ann
Taylor's doggy stuff reviews
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #14
Yorkie Yakker
 
LaVcaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
It dosenít work the same and definitely doesnít keep their paws warm. Also salt can get stuck to it nd on the paws.
Okay, so it doesn't work. IF I lived in an area that had snow and owned a dog that needed to use an outside toilet... I would think strongly about making a covered dog-run that kept the snow/water outside of it so my dog could do it's business and stay clean and dry. But I live up by Sacramento, CA where we only get tons of rain and my Yorkie uses pee-pads for her business. So we only go outside for exercise & fresh air when it's not raining. Just sharing what I know.
LaVcaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #15
Donating YT 3000 Club Member
 
matese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: E.Stroudsburg, Pa.
Posts: 45,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVcaM View Post
Okay, so it doesn't work. IF I lived in an area that had snow and owned a dog that needed to use an outside toilet... I would think strongly about making a covered dog-run that kept the snow/water outside of it so my dog could do it's business and stay clean and dry. But I live up by Sacramento, CA where we only get tons of rain and my Yorkie uses pee-pads for her business. So we only go outside for exercise & fresh air when it's not raining. Just sharing what I know.
Not everyone own their own homes where a sheltered potty area could be made. For 35 years living in NYC raising 8 puppies, all were walked in all kinds of weather, they had rain coats for those days. On snow days when streets and sidewalks were salted I would carry them to an area that was salt free, then carry them back home. Where there is a will there is a way. I now have my own home, so no more worry about salt. Back then they didn't have the booties they have today. You have to start them very young to get use to wearing them.
__________________
Joan, mom to Cody RIP Matese Schnae Kajon Kia forever in my A House Is Not A Home Without A Dog
matese is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2013 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157