YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Is it ok to put my Yorkie down?

I'm new here and I found this group out of desperation. My yorkie is a 14 1/2 year old girl,Yaffi. She's pretty small,between 4-5 lbs. we've had her since she was 8 wks old and there have always been issues. She's never been completely potty trained and while she slept with us for a number of years,but after waking up to find poop in our bed repeatedly,we finally stopped that and she sleeps in the kitchen with baby gates in the doorway so she won't pee and poop all over my house. We have a cavalier also and we keep him with her so she won't feel alone. I must admit that over time I've become less and less happy with her. The things I love about a dog I don't have with her. I can't sleep with her or give her the run of the house. If we're in the living room,she comes in but can only be in the sofa because she usually wouldn't go in that,but now she'll go. She's had a full senior screen bloodwork and X-rays. She has DDD(degenerative disc disease) and arthritis. She doesn't have most of her teeth;over the years we've had to have them pulled. She has cataracts,not too bad, and I think she's deaf.
The biggest thing is that she pees and poops constantly. Walking in my kitchen is like walking in a minefield. She's let out frequently,we have a deck going into a very large fenced yard. She goes outside and then comes in to pee or poop.
I can't stand it anymore. I can't crate her or "playpen" her because she's a diva and she screeches when confined. I think I want to put her down. My 22 yo son is not happy but he's not here to clean up usually.
Please give me feedback and thoughts but please no bashing or attacking. I feel badly already.
Sandyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 04-06-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyx7 View Post
I'm new here and I found this group out of desperation. My yorkie is a 14 1/2 year old girl,Yaffi. She's pretty small,between 4-5 lbs. we've had her since she was 8 wks old and there have always been issues. She's never been completely potty trained and while she slept with us for a number of years,but after waking up to find poop in our bed repeatedly,we finally stopped that and she sleeps in the kitchen with baby gates in the doorway so she won't pee and poop all over my house. We have a cavalier also and we keep him with her so she won't feel alone. I must admit that over time I've become less and less happy with her. The things I love about a dog I don't have with her. I can't sleep with her or give her the run of the house. If we're in the living room,she comes in but can only be in the sofa because she usually wouldn't go in that,but now she'll go. She's had a full senior screen bloodwork and X-rays. She has DDD(degenerative disc disease) and arthritis. She doesn't have most of her teeth;over the years we've had to have them pulled. She has cataracts,not too bad, and I think she's deaf.
The biggest thing is that she pees and poops constantly. Walking in my kitchen is like walking in a minefield. She's let out frequently,we have a deck going into a very large fenced yard. She goes outside and then comes in to pee or poop.
I can't stand it anymore. I can't crate her or "playpen" her because she's a diva and she screeches when confined. I think I want to put her down. My 22 yo son is not happy but he's not here to clean up usually.
Please give me feedback and thoughts but please no bashing or attacking. I feel badly already.
Most non potty train dogs it's the owners fault not the dogs. I would only put her down if her quality of life is not very good. If you are just sick of her you might want to look into surrendering her to a yorkie rescue.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:25 AM   #3
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default My yorkie

I've had dogs all my life with no problems potty training. She is my only yorkie. I've discussed this with my vet since she's young and my vet told me that small dogs are harder to train and yorkies are the toughest. My cavalier is small,although bigger than her and he's trained. Idk her quality of life, really. Does she mind not having the run of the house? I can't keep a dog bed in the kitchen because she's gone through them so she sleeps on rubber kitchen mats because I can wipe them down and clean them. She does enjoy going into the yard and sitting in the sun. She sleeps a lot and barks/yells forcefully when she wants something so she's aware. For example,if I'm not right at the door when she's ready to come in,she yells so loud you can hear her a few houses down,lol.
She has trouble walking but doesn't seem to be in pain. I've taken good care of her all these years but I'm tired of this as it's gotten worse. And rescue is not a good idea. Who in the world wants this old dog with so many issues? I would never place her where she could be abused or hurt. I may yell at her at times, but she's safe here and has no fear or hurt.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #4
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

At the risk of sounding disrespectful, her potty issues are not her fault. You neglected to train her and now you want to put her down for not being potty trained. The main reasons why pets end up in shelters is because of the owner! The owner does not want to take the time to properly trained and socialized their pets.

If she isn't having severe medical issues that has diminished her quality of life or is causing her pain, why would you want to put down? I bet if you took the time to properly trained her, all those things you want to do with your dog you can do. If you want her to sleep in bed with you, potty trained her. It really is that simple. This isn't you dog's fault and she shouldn't be put to death because she was not potty trained.

If you are just plain tired of her, then rehome her. However that would be a little cold to rehome a senior dog that has only known one home her entire life because her owner didn't potty trained her and is now tired of cleaning up her crap.......that really sucks.
yavenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default My yorkie

You know, having many kids, I've learned(or maybe have always known) that self righteous indignation,accusing and shaming NEVER have a desired outcome. I see you have an agenda and if anything, your response makes my situation feel even more defeated. I thought I'd hear from people with similar issues and receive feedback. Maybe not possible. Now that you "told" me, please go away.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
YT 3000 Club Member

What did the vet say or did I misread your post
Old 04-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I have to agree with the above members, if a dog pee, poops where ever, it is from owner not properly training the dog.Now this baby is a senior 14 1/2 yo, more then likely she is losing control of her bladder which you would not know because she has made where ever she wanted to most all her life. She is a senior and needs YOU, YOUR LOVE and understanding, and YOUR PATIENCE more now because she is going through changes that is confusing to her. My last girl, I raised her from a 8 week old puppy, she was properly house broken, I loved and enjoyed all those healthy, happy, frisky days, then at 14 yo she started loosing her sight, then her hearing, around 15 1/2 yo she started losing bladder control and peed where ever she stood. Came a time her vision was very bad, she could not see to jump off the bed, so I slept in my home office on a futon, it was lower then my bed, she was able to get off, 6 months later she couldn't even manage that, so she slept in her doggie bed with my hand in it so she would know I was close to her. Then dementia set in, she would go between the chairs under the kitchen table and not know how to get out, so I took all the chair but one away. From 14 to 17 yo no sight, no hearing, dementia, I would hold her, cuddle her, held her tight so she would know momma loved her more each day. At 17 yo I had to let her go, her organs were breaking down, I thought I would die that day. For me, when I take a dog into my life it is like the wedding vow " in sickness and health till do us part". I am appalled that you can say "The things I love about a dog I don't have with her" it isobvious you don't care for this little girl, if you felt like that you should have re-homed when she was younger and more adoptable, not at the age of 14 1/2 when she needs you the most, now you want to put her down because "I can't stand it anymore". As long as she is eating and drinking, not in ant pain, I cannot see this dog being euthanized just because you are tired of cleaning up after her. It's YOUR FAULT the dog pees and poops all over, YOU were not consistent in her potty training, this is way we have so many dogs in shelters. Owners need training in how to train a dog.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
YT Addict

Im sorry you are having a really hard time of it. Have you tried diapering her, she is 14 and I don't think at this point that training is going to work. If she is having disc trouble I am sure she is in a lot of pain. I can understand that you are getting tired of the clean up. I get it, even when you love someone or your beloved pet it can get more then you can deal with. At 14 1/2 her live is coming to an end and maybe this is what you are seeing. If you feel the quality of life is poor then maybe its time. Have you asked your Vet what they think. Its a hard thing to do end of life is hard. I know all you wanted was some comforting words . Do what you think is best and dont feel guilty you have loved her for 14 1/2 years, do not rehome her that would be hart breaking for her. This is just my op.
mybellababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyx7 View Post
You know, having many kids, I've learned(or maybe have always known) that self righteous indignation,accusing and shaming NEVER have a desired outcome. I see you have an agenda and if anything, your response makes my situation feel even more defeated. I thought I'd hear from people with similar issues and receive feedback. Maybe not possible. Now that you "told" me, please go away.
Your post made it sound like you were simply tired of her and her not being trained. There are many of us on the site that would clean up potty every minute of every day if it meant we could have our dogs back so its hard to understand some one wanting to put a dog down for a reason other then poor quality of life. It is a fact that most dogs can be trained and that dogs that are not potty trained its mainly the owners fault. It's going to be hard to find someone else on here that wants to put down their dog for a reason other then poor quality of life but you might find someone who knows. Just keep in mind one day you to will have accidents people have to clean up and you to will get old.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Your post made it sound like you were simply tired of her and her not being trained. There are many of us on the site that would clean up potty every minute of every day if it meant we could have our dogs back so its hard to understand some one wanting to put a dog down for a reason other then poor quality of life. It is a fact that most dogs can be trained and that dogs that are not potty trained its mainly the owners fault. It's going to be hard to find someone else on here that wants to put down their dog for a reason other then poor quality of life but you might find someone who knows. Just keep in mind one day you to will have accidents people have to clean up and you to will get old.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
YT 3000 Club Member

Reminds me of a story

A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in- law, and four-year old grandson. The old man’s hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered. The family ate together at the table. But the elderly grandfather’ s shaky hands and failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped, the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in- law became irritated with the mess. “We must do something about Grandfather, ” said the son. “I’ve had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor.” So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner. Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl. When the family glanced in Grandfather’ s direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone. Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food. The four-year-old watched it all in silence.

One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, “What are you making?” Just as sweetly, the boy responded, “Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up.” The four-year-old smiled and went back to work. The words so struck the parents that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done.

That evening the husband took Grandfather’ s hand and gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family. And for some reason, neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled
Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainzing View Post
Reminds me of a story

A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in- law, and four-year old grandson. The old man’s hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered. The family ate together at the table. But the elderly grandfather’ s shaky hands and failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped, the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in- law became irritated with the mess. “We must do something about Grandfather, ” said the son. “I’ve had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor.” So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner. Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl. When the family glanced in Grandfather’ s direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone. Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food. The four-year-old watched it all in silence.

One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, “What are you making?” Just as sweetly, the boy responded, “Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up.” The four-year-old smiled and went back to work. The words so struck the parents that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done.

That evening the husband took Grandfather’ s hand and gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family. And for some reason, neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled

Well said.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Donating YT 10K Club Member

To answer your question, in most states dogs are seen as possessions and are treated accordingly as far as the law goes. That being said, you may have the "right" to put her down, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

If your precious senior yorkie just started having accidents, it could be due to age, but from what you have shared with us, she has an owner problem, not a house training problem. She has an owner who, for 14 1/2 years didn't spend the time or put forth the effort to house train her and now wants to give her a death sentence because of it.

If you think YTers seem a bit harsh, well, most of us would cherish the thought of having our babies for as long as you have had your girl and would gladly take care of them for the rest of their natural life. For many of us, include me in this category, we have had Yorkies who have left us way too soon and the hole they left in our heart will never fully heal.

I agree that there is a time when we must make decisions regarding our pets. We had to make the heart wrenching decision for Boo, our 15 1/2 year old Boxer, NOT because she was losing bowel and bladder control, or because she had a heart problem that required expensive medication, or because she was deaf and almost blind. Nor did we make the decision because hubby and I couldn't go on vacations 'cause we chose to take care of Boo in her final years. The day she could not stand and would not eat, we called her vet and made an appointment for him to come to our home. We let her go with hubby holding her in his lap, me holding her paw and the three of us crying our eyes out.

I only wish the same for every beloved pet.

If you have children and make the choice to kill this pet of 14 1/2 years because you are finally tired of cleaning up after her, what lesson are you teaching the kids?

Last edited by chattiesmom; 04-06-2017 at 10:19 AM.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Senior female dogs often have trouble controlling their bladder, and sometimes their bowels. Your dog is small and never been properly potty trained on top it.

We've had senior female dogs who benefited from a daily medication to help with bladder control. I can't think of what the med is called.

Potty training in the senior years is likely not going to work fully, but I would still commit to increasing the frequency of her outdoor trips, and I would praise her each time she went potty in the right place. Reward her with a small treat too (we use a couple pieces of kibble).

You could also try piddle pads and diapers. If you use diapers, be sure to change frequently and take care of them properly to prevent skin problems.

I agree with posts above to keep in mind that one day you too will be a senior and likely have to depend on someone to help clean up after you. Be compassionate to your dog.

My Yorkies are 7 and 8 and we've had more than few nights of missing sleep, having to do butt washes every hour, clean up, because they were sick. It's not fun, but I made a commitment to take care of them, and I do it willingly with my whole heart. They are helpless, living beings. No different than a human baby.

If you are not able to fulfill your commitment, please contact a Yorkie rescue group.

Last edited by Maximo; 04-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
aka ♥SquishyFace♥
Donating Member

I think you wanted to come here to get the permission your consciousness isn't granting you which is to put the dog down and validate it on the basis of age.

My mom was going through the same thing with her Yorkie and considered the same thing and I told her that I thought she was a selfish person. She'd 'had enough' was 'tired' and 'tried everything' or 'didn't know what else to do'. The dog can't help that it is aging and that shouldn't be used as a way to ease your consciousness because you don't want to deal with it anymore. Like you, my mom didn't bother to do things early on in the dogs life and had to deal with the outcome later. But, instead of deal with it like a loving pet owner, she wanted to end it like a selfish child.

But, if YOU want to give up, that's understandable even though you did promise to love this dog for it's WHOLE life when you bought it and it was fun and cute and young at 8 weeks old.

Like others have said, I'd recommend surrendering your dog to a rescue so you can sleep at night knowing that you didn't put it down to make you feel better.

Plus, your son might respect you instead of resent you for making a choice which only benefits you.

I know my post might sound harsh but, despite that and the fact that truth often hurts, I can relate with what you're going through but I don't think you've truly stepped back and thought about what you're thinking about doing which is ending a life. Just don't do something you'll regret. You can't take the wrong decision back.

Last edited by SirTeddykins; 04-06-2017 at 12:25 PM.
SirTeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote