YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Two more days till we have a sister!!

Well everyone, it is only two more days till Wallee's new sister comes home to live with us. It's kind of bitter sweet for her as they are taking her puppies away the same day we get her. Not what I would like to see done, however there is nothing I can do or say about it as they were going to do this whether I took her or not. I just have to keep telling myself she will have a happy life now with us with no more puppies and just love and playtime.
The lady who has her now asked me last week how I wanted her hair done since she hadn't been cleaned up since having the puppies. I sent her a picture which she took to her groomer to attempt...OMG She looks nothing like the picture at all. I realize that she is a Biewer and not a regular Yorkie but I am sure if her coat was actually blown out it would have looked a lot straighter. The groomer tried to say she has a "curly" coat...obviously she has never worked with a Biewer before.
So sad to say her coat presently looks as curly as Wallee's..lol..
Anyway, I was wanting to ask any of you who are breeders, what I should be feeding her or doing to help her coat recover from having the babies. I know it will grow back in and know it needs time to get it's luster back from having puppies but am sure that there are some things you probably do to help their coats. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I have attached the picture of the cut I was looking for, the picture of what the groomer did to her and the picture of how she used to look.
Attached Thumbnails
Two more days till we have a sister!!-img_2014042733816.jpg   Two more days till we have a sister!!-img_2014042711836.jpg   Two more days till we have a sister!!-img_2014042723795.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/5TailsBoutique?ref=tn_tnmn
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I'm so happy for you and for her and Wallee. For the moment, how she adjusts to this big change in her life is far more important than anything else. I'll just offer some thoughts and you can read them and consider if they are something you would be interested in trying as she arrives in your home. You might want to consider these things for your new girl as a home change to many dogs is one of the more stressful times in its life though few people ever think of that as the dog often acts so excited, they think it's happy. The open-mouthed panting as a new dog comes into a new home and looks around they think of as smiling and enthrallment. It's usually not. It's excitement only and it often hides the dog's anxieties.

The day she changes homes and leaves all she's known and has her puppies taken from her having not that long ago whelped them and is no doubt still recuperating from that, comes to a new home with a new dog, cats and new people is going to be a highly-charged occurence in her life, very stressful for her, whether she outwardly shows it or not. She will be highly excited and anxious as she leaves her old home and arrives at the new one filled with a whole cast of new characters, smells and situations. Her bed won't be there, nor her regular food bowl, toys or her favorite spot. Life will be forever different for her. None of the smells she's come to know will be there.

I would probably have plans for how to help her transition and settle in and get a good, quiet start where she's allowed to go to her crate or special area set aside just for her and rest and observe the household as it goes on around her as she adjusts and accepts what just happened in her little life. It won't hit her probably for a couple of days that her entire life is changed forever and she won't see her prior owner or puppies ever again so I'd be prepared to gently nurture her through this time and leave her be, not allow Wallee or the kitties free access to her unless she happily and willingly approaches them. I would simply not approach her the first few days and act a bit aloof so she doesn't feel smothered by these new people. Allowing a new dog their space and the time to slowly access their new surroundings and take the measure of their new family members without stressing them with lots of affection, touching or activities involving family and friends flooding in to meet them will help them go forward at their own pace.

I'd feed her the first couple of days in her new crate or pen, allowing her to see it as the place she's safe and can get her food in peace and security where no one can bother her, though I'd withhold her actual food for a couple of hours when she first arrives. Placing her food and an old toy or two of hers in the new crate will help her want to go in there and make herself comfortable on her new pillow or bed. If she's acting anxious, a blanket over 3 sides and one end of the crate should help her for the first day or two. In time, she'll spread her own scent in there and feel better about her new accommodations.

Allowing her to meet Wallee out in the front yard would likely be a good way for them to meet and get to know one another without challenging his territory so much the day she comes home. Both will likely sniff and pee, etc., though she may be too tense to pee, even after the car ride. Then, I'd allow him to go on into the home and bring her in and allow her to lead you on the leash where she like to go for a few minutes. Then I'd put her in her crate where she can rest and her food and water bowls are there, with no food at the present time, just water. I'd probably have a chew toy in the food bowl as she likely won't be very hungry. After she rests for 30 - 60 minutes or longer if she's asleep, I'd allow her out to pee/potty as she probably needs to go by now if she didn't at first. Bring her back in to her crate and food in her bowl now and allow her to go back in to her safe "den" and rest, observe and consider things for a while longer.

I'd keep some kibble treats sitting in a container on top of the crate and occasionally toss one in as I walk past as she's still adjusting.

Once she's showing signs of wanting to come out of her crate and interact, slowly begin to rub, scratch, pat and show her some gentle affection and the same for Wallee and the cats, keeping them back from her until she approaches them at first. When she begins to voluntarily approach you or your husband or Wallee, you'll know she's settling in and accepting you all as her new family but allowing the new pet to move at their pace makes for a much quicker, calmer and more sensible progression into her new life and in time, she will be begging for attention and you will be lavishing her with all that you have to give. Just some thoughts to consider and use or not as you see fit.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
YT 1000 Club Member

Jeanie, your advise is stunningly insightful.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie6446 View Post
Jeanie, your advise is stunningly insightful.
Oh, nothing exceptional - I've just brought in a lot of seemingly calm, cool to wildly happy-acting and excited to very scared, jumpy, crouching to stiff, stalking, grouchy, stressed out dogs and found out what works best quickest for us all.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Well everyone, it is only two more days till Wallee's new sister comes home to live with us. It's kind of bitter sweet for her as they are taking her puppies away the same day we get her. Not what I would like to see done, however there is nothing I can do or say about it as they were going to do this whether I took her or not. I just have to keep telling myself she will have a happy life now with us with no more puppies and just love and playtime.
The lady who has her now asked me last week how I wanted her hair done since she hadn't been cleaned up since having the puppies. I sent her a picture which she took to her groomer to attempt...OMG She looks nothing like the picture at all. I realize that she is a Biewer and not a regular Yorkie but I am sure if her coat was actually blown out it would have looked a lot straighter. The groomer tried to say she has a "curly" coat...obviously she has never worked with a Biewer before.
So sad to say her coat presently looks as curly as Wallee's..lol..
Anyway, I was wanting to ask any of you who are breeders, what I should be feeding her or doing to help her coat recover from having the babies. I know it will grow back in and know it needs time to get it's luster back from having puppies but am sure that there are some things you probably do to help their coats. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I have attached the picture of the cut I was looking for, the picture of what the groomer did to her and the picture of how she used to look.
Even if the cut is not what you wanted, that is one BEAUTIFUL lil gal, it is sad that she leaves a home she knew, and her babies all in one day, but she will be going to a loving home with playmates. Jeanie's advise sounds excellent. Enjoy your new lil girl, she is truly beautiful.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

Thanks again so much for the tips Jeanie. I had planned on crating her for sure and even talked of containing her to my kitchen with the gates I used for Wallee when he was young. I will do my best to follow your tips. I know I have integrated 4 cats into my home in similar style. The last one we brought in was kept in another room with a screen door from the patio blocking her in. That way she was able to smell the others and they could smell her...We would rotate them into her space and her into theirs every once in a while to distribute smells. After the week was over, we were able to bring her out into the population with absolutely zero issues. I hope I can do as well for Summer as my only intention is to make this a happy peaceful home for her.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #7

She's a beautiful doll with any cut. She's lucky to be getting you, & you her. I've only brought 2 adult dogs home to live with Dolly & me, neither came from a normal or caring family. The one thing that worked for me was for me to spend time on the floor, sitting & reading or laying & watching TV. Worked great. Also, when first meeting the dog don't act excited & start talking doggy talk (like we all would want to do). Maybe ignore her a bit & let her have a quiet ride home. (Well, this is how I handled it but both my rehomes were "problem children".)

Oh, I'm soooooo envious of the wonderful week ahead for you! Have fun!

Last edited by dollydoodle; 04-27-2014 at 08:28 AM.
dollydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
and Khloe Mae's too!
Donating Member

Aww, I wouldn't worry too much about her hair cut right now. It definitely does not look like the picture, but the groomer probably hasn't worked with yorkies or biewers much. You can get her cut down when she gets more comfortable. Please update with pictures when you get her.

I am so very excited for you!!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Countdown is moving closer!!! Summer is on her way soon.......
Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Congratulations and good luck. Take the transition for her slowly; after all you are going to be her forever home.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Is the middle picture how she looks now? Either of those of her are totally precious!!! She's a little beauty either way with such a sweet expression. And Wallee and Summer will be so cute together - the Biewer Buddies. That's sure a handsome Yorkie lassie on the left!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #12

Hi Jeanie
Yes the middle picture was taken Friday after her groom.
I have to tell you I am very nervous. Weird that I never was with the cats and they are so territorial but I am so worried I will do something to upset her.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Hi Jeanie
Yes the middle picture was taken Friday after her groom.
I have to tell you I am very nervous. Weird that I never was with the cats and they are so territorial but I am so worried I will do something to upset her.
I thought so - she's too cute!!! Beautiful little girl.

You'll be fine, Cindy. I think you are in love with her already, aren't you? I know I am!!! I think thinking you might not get her really sent you spinning as it would anyone who saw her. Just give her her space and quiet time in her crate/pen for a couple of days, allow her to approach you and permit her to set the pace as she transitions from her current situation into the new one as this is a big change in her life, changing from her home, losing her babies, coming into strange new surroundings. Even if she gets a little sideways and weird for a time, you can correct that after she's settled in. But the chances are, she'll do just lie and look and observe you all for a couple or more days and when she's comfortable and decides you all are trustworthy, she'll begin to wag her tail and sniff you and stick her head under your hand for a pat. Or, she could be one of those who will stand very near you so you can pat her if you've a mind to. In another few days, she'll have accepted her new family and be happy she's got Wallee and those interesting cats to keep her fascinated(Tibbe is entertained by the neighborhood cat) and a mommie and daddy who want to give her a forever home and a new chance to have a good life. Smart dogs assess changes in life, accept them if they are pleasant, adjust and move on with life, living in the here and now. And she looks like a smashing good girl, for sure, Cindy. I'd say you've got a winner there. Wallee should love her!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
♥Love My 3 Furrbutts♥
Donating Member

Tuesday cant come soon enough for us either Cindy my dear friend! Looking forward to meeting Summer, she is gorgeous, Wallee is going to love her!

https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPawzGroomingSpa http://jlevy.scentsy.ca
msyorktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Cindy this is so exciting. . . I would suggest you give her some coconut oil or Cocotherapy coconut flakes. They are great for her coat.

Also try the Wampum products. Wampum conditioning Shampoo Concentrate, Wampum Limited Edition Conditioner, Wampum Water-soluble coat oil, Wampum Miracle Grooming Spray. They are amazing products. They do not dry out the coat. The oil is wonderful. It really helps out the coat. You only use a few drops in 500 ml of water so the bottle lasts a long time. But I was told put a few extra drops it will make the coat look a little oily but it helps with mats and helps the coat grow.

I have to say so far I found that wampum and Artero to be the best for Biewers. IMO