YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community


Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > YorkieTalk > General Yorkshire Terrier Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
o.Reign Rules My ♥.o
Donating Member
 
MishyMish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: .o.Yorkie Bliss.Oo.
Posts: 1,414
Question Training VS. Personality

I may not be posting in the right section, but...

I am curious to know about how much does training play into the misbehaving Yorkie or any dog for that matter. If people that come from good homes can potentially be bad, doesn't the same apply to dogs?

In the case of the misbehaved dog, how much of it is due to the lack of proper training vs. dogs personality ?
__________________
The Best Thing That Has Happened To Me, Was Getting My Furkid.


MishyMish is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

WidgetBucks - Trend Watch - WidgetBucks.com
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member
 
gemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke, ONtario, Canada
Posts: 12,052
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishyMish View Post
I may not be posting in the right section, but...

I am curious to know about how much does training play into the misbehaving Yorkie or any dog for that matter. If people that come from good homes can potentially be bad, doesn't the same apply to dogs?

In the case of the misbehaved dog, how much of it is due to the lack of proper training vs. dogs personality ?
Good question. I do know that there is a very very tiny percentage of dogs that are born with for want of a better word, some weird wiring in the brain. Ie genetic. It can create a multiple of behavioural issues.

IMO - misbehaving dogs is almost always the fault of the owners. Lack of socialization, lack of training, lack of re-inforcing the training. Allowing dogs to get away with behaviour that is "cute" as a puppy but not so much as an adult.

Personality is always present in dogs. Some learn faster, some slower. Some are more outgoing, some not. Some have a natural inclination to love the game of chase and fetch, some do not. Some are more curious, some more shy. Some are mischeivous, some more serious. Some need more space, and some just want to be cuddle bugs.

But you as the owner shape your dog, especially when received as a pup. From the moment our pups come home, they begin to learn to love toys. We play fetch and chase and chew and release. We do this everyday, we do this many places. So my dogs have huge toy drive - which is a real bonus for training in more formal aspects. Their rewards are their toys.

It is possible to take a low drive dog and over time build that dog into a high drive one. For the most part it is up to you! Your own commitment, drive, dedication, and knowledge.

So I am saying I am on the side of environment and nuture being a huge predicator of a happy adult dog.
__________________
Magic, Razzle and Dara. Our clan. RIP Karma Dec 24th 2004-July 14 2013 RIP Zoey Jun9 th 2008-May 12 2012
gemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,281
Default

Honestly, I believe in training more than personality. To an extent. Yes each dog has individual personalities, for sure. Certain things you aren't going to change. But I truly believe with training and a bond, you can somewhat 'create' a dog to your liking. I've done it, and seen it done many times.

As an example, Jackson would not ever fetch. Just didn't care enough about toys, never interested. I had to train him to fetch. I started with treats, and a long line attached to him. I'd throw the ball a short distance and reward when he brought it back. Then throw it longer, etc. If he forget the ball, I'd give a light tug on his leash to remind him to bring it back. We did this for maybe 6 months. It only held his interest for maybe 5 mins though. We started building value in retrieving and eventually he started thinking it was fun! So we stopped using treats, and eventually the toy and the praise was reward enough. Fast forward about a year and a half later (now)... this is a dog that will play fetch for 30 minutes with a Chuck-It ... I mean I WING it as far as I can and he runs as fast as he can and brings it back. And he begs to keep playing more! Barking at me, all excited, waiting for the ball. He's a fetching fool now... it took a while, but I never gave up. I said I always wanted a dog who would fetch and now I have one! Granted, at 4 years old, but he even loves the frisbee now. I'll never have a Border Collie frisbee catcher, but he tries his hardest and he is having fun! He also does it in other locations now (the park etc). Every now and then I still reward him with treats, to keep him really interested (he's food motivated) but he never knows when he going to get a treat.

I know it's a bit different than what you're asking, but I think too often people think 'oh it's just his personality' and give up and just accept it, when you can try sooo many things to change a dog to your liking or for the better. It's the same thing with training. Yes I think some dogs are going to be more stubborn than others, etc, but overall training .. actual hardcore real bonding relationship based training can do so much for a dog!
__________________
~ Brit & Jackson ~


Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member
 
gemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke, ONtario, Canada
Posts: 12,052
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Honestly, I believe in training more than personality. To an extent. Yes each dog has individual personalities, for sure. Certain things you aren't going to change. But I truly believe with training and a bond, you can somewhat 'create' a dog to your liking. I've done it, and seen it done many times.

As an example, Jackson would not ever fetch. Just didn't care enough about toys, never interested. I had to train him to fetch. I started with treats, and a long line attached to him. I'd throw the ball a short distance and reward when he brought it back. Then throw it longer, etc. If he forget the ball, I'd give a light tug on his leash to remind him to bring it back. We did this for maybe 6 months. It only held his interest for maybe 5 mins though. We started building value in retrieving and eventually he started thinking it was fun! So we stopped using treats, and eventually the toy and the praise was reward enough. Fast forward about a year and a half later (now)... this is a dog that will play fetch for 30 minutes with a Chuck-It ... I mean I WING it as far as I can and he runs as fast as he can and brings it back. And he begs to keep playing more! Barking at me, all excited, waiting for the ball. He's a fetching fool now... it took a while, but I never gave up. I said I always wanted a dog who would fetch and now I have one! Granted, at 4 years old, but he even loves the frisbee now. I'll never have a Border Collie frisbee catcher, but he tries his hardest and he is having fun! He also does it in other locations now (the park etc). Every now and then I still reward him with treats, to keep him really interested (he's food motivated) but he never knows when he going to get a treat.

I know it's a bit different than what you're asking, but I think too often people think 'oh it's just his personality' and give up and just accept it, when you can try sooo many things to change a dog to your liking or for the better. It's the same thing with training. Yes I think some dogs are going to be more stubborn than others, etc, but overall training .. actual hardcore real bonding relationship based training can do so much for a dog!
wonderful post, you are wise way beyond your years!

Our gal Zoey was very much like Jackson. She came to us at 7.5 mths old, and liked only sticks. She didn't really know how to "play" with humans. Oh she always wanted to run and chase Magic, who quite frankly if I was out and about he wasn't too interested in doing. What Moms was doing, was she going to throw a toy or need me to do something was very high on his radar.

Gradually, very gradually, she did finally get the concept of retreive, but still for her the grandest fun was chasing Magic as he went for the ball. It is a little harder in multi dog households to train up a dog.

It took Zoey 3 summers to learn to swim. As compared to Razz and Magic one summer.

Razzle came to us much earlier, and he too is very toy driven. It is just easier when the pups are young and come from a good breeder and trainer, to instill toy drive.

But here is where "personality" comes in. Zoey would always lag behind. She was much more timid/shy and not a confident dog. And that translated across a wide spectrum of activities.

So toy drive is a short form to say "working drive".

I truly believe that even household "pets" are much happier, more fullfilled if they have some tasks to do. Be that fetching a ball, or retreiving your slippers.

And dogs do so love the great outdoors. A small walk. A visit to the pet store. a visit to a park. There is so much you can do to enrich your dogs life.
__________________
Magic, Razzle and Dara. Our clan. RIP Karma Dec 24th 2004-July 14 2013 RIP Zoey Jun9 th 2008-May 12 2012
gemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member
 
Teresa Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central, Florida
Posts: 3,863
Default

I agree with gemy and Brister. I think training is the most important thing a person can do with and for their dog. A well behaved, obedient, house broken dog, that gets along with people and other animals, is seldom dumped, given up or put to sleep because they are unadoptable. I have seen that even if the owner dies and the dog must be rehomed, almost all well behaved dogs are adoptable, even if they are older and have some health issues.
__________________
Teresa & Rubin, Gracie, Abba, Ginny Joy and Julia Rose
Act like a dog, be kind, forgiving, and loyal.
Teresa Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
wonderful post, you are wise way beyond your years!

Our gal Zoey was very much like Jackson. She came to us at 7.5 mths old, and liked only sticks. She didn't really know how to "play" with humans. Oh she always wanted to run and chase Magic, who quite frankly if I was out and about he wasn't too interested in doing. What Moms was doing, was she going to throw a toy or need me to do something was very high on his radar.

Gradually, very gradually, she did finally get the concept of retreive, but still for her the grandest fun was chasing Magic as he went for the ball. It is a little harder in multi dog households to train up a dog.

It took Zoey 3 summers to learn to swim. As compared to Razz and Magic one summer.

Razzle came to us much earlier, and he too is very toy driven. It is just easier when the pups are young and come from a good breeder and trainer, to instill toy drive.

But here is where "personality" comes in. Zoey would always lag behind. She was much more timid/shy and not a confident dog. And that translated across a wide spectrum of activities.

So toy drive is a short form to say "working drive".

I truly believe that even household "pets" are much happier, more fullfilled if they have some tasks to do. Be that fetching a ball, or retreiving your slippers.

And dogs do so love the great outdoors. A small walk. A visit to the pet store. a visit to a park. There is so much you can do to enrich your dogs life.
I saw your post after mine, and totally agree!! We are basically saying the same thing in a different way!

But I 10000% agree.

Same thing w/ swimming with Jackson, now he was always into water, so it was already "somewhat" natural to him, however diving in did not just come on his own. It took encouraging. His first summer, he did not dive in ever. Second summer, he begin diving in the pool from a raft. So he would first jump onto a raft, then dive into the pool that way. His third summer, he finally began diving in off the side! It took time, practice, encouragement. If I had just never done anything about it, he probably would not really care about the pool, and definitely wouldn't be diving in. I am so glad I worked on too and encouraged it because it's his fav thing in the world to do and provides him an outlet, and great exercise!

Even with trick training, I enjoy doing tricks where he has to really put his trust and faith into me. Jumping onto my back and staying there, putting his feet on mine and walking, etc, these things mean (to me) that he trusts me enough to do such things. I want him to know he can always trust me to guide him.
__________________
~ Brit & Jackson ~


Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member
 
Britster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Ford View Post
I agree with gemy and Brister. I think training is the most important thing a person can do with and for their dog. A well behaved, obedient, house broken dog, that gets along with people and other animals, is seldom dumped, given up or put to sleep because they are unadoptable. I have seen that even if the owner dies and the dog must be rehomed, almost all well behaved dogs are adoptable, even if they are older and have some health issues.
Absolutely!

An ill behaved dog is not fun for anyone to be around. I think it's so important from the beginning to start training.
__________________
~ Brit & Jackson ~


Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
o.Reign Rules My ♥.o
Donating Member
 
MishyMish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: .o.Yorkie Bliss.Oo.
Posts: 1,414
Default

Thank you all for your replies! I asked because one of my coworkers has a dog and this dog has behavioral issues.They were saying that it was the personality and hopefully the dog will grow out of it. I initially thought maybe the training isn't good, but they mentioned they had several dogs previously and did not have this issue. So, it made me wonder...
__________________
The Best Thing That Has Happened To Me, Was Getting My Furkid.


MishyMish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member
 
gemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke, ONtario, Canada
Posts: 12,052
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishyMish View Post
Thank you all for your replies! I asked because one of my coworkers has a dog and this dog has behavioral issues.They were saying that it was the personality and hopefully the dog will grow out of it. I initially thought maybe the training isn't good, but they mentioned they had several dogs previously and did not have this issue. So, it made me wonder...
This is now getting a tad more specific; but still not specific enough. How old is the dog, what is the exact issue? How often does this issue exhibit? Where, when and with whom?

Frankly if this dog is a young dog, you need to "nip" in the bud this behavioural issue...... unless it is a matter of insecurity and or fear. Dog is afaird to walk outside, dog submissively and or excitedly peeing. Insecurity in a dog may take years to correct. Because you are not correcting insecurity but trying to build security. Actually any age dog, if there is a behavioural issue I think it is on the owner to get the help they need to resolve the issue.

I am not a trainer like Brit and Teresa are, but I do train my dogs and with a trainer for over 7yrs now. But I immediately look to myself if a dog of mine has issues. And ask for help if need be.
__________________
Magic, Razzle and Dara. Our clan. RIP Karma Dec 24th 2004-July 14 2013 RIP Zoey Jun9 th 2008-May 12 2012
gemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Google
 

SHOP NOW: Amazon :: eBay :: Buy.com :: Newegg :: PetStore :: Petco :: PetSmart


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2003 - 2013 YorkieTalk.com
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157