YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

Welcome to the YorkieTalk.com Forums Community - the community for Yorkshire Terriers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to chat with over 35,000 YorkieTalk members, read over 2,000,000 posted discussions, and view more than 15,000 Yorkie photos in the YorkieTalk Photo Gallery after you register. We would love to have you as a member!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please click here to contact us.

Go Back   YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community > Breeding / Showing / Traveling > Breeder Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
YT 500 Club Member

Sad I am so concerned about tootsy - please could you help

Tootsy had her season about 7 weeks ago and towards the end of the bleeding, she seemed to be unwell and was drinking more and seemed to be panting, for no good reason, every now and then. It was the weekend and we spoke to a vet we did not know, who felt it safe to wait until the morning as she had no temperature and he felt it was a little early for pyometria. By the morning she seemed better and improved, but she did not want to go for a walk, which was very unusual. She was eating normally and her stools were normal. She just did not seem herself. She was listless, did not want to jump up onto the sofa or bed and had to be lifted up, she was panting, when she was not hot or tired, and she started to drink more. She also started to itch and scatched and scratched everywhere, especially her ears. Then HORROR!! we found a lump on one of her mammory glands. This was also over a weekend and we had to see another vet. She said just too keep an eye on the lump for 10 days and see if it gets smaller. She said her ears looked okay, but she gave her an antihistamine shot and some antibiotics, Ceporex. We noticed that three times after taking the antibiotic, she started to pant and breathe fast and shallowly. We were too frightened to give her another tablet so stopped giving them to her. Toosy then started to eat ravenously and wanted as much food as we would give her!! We made an appointment with another vet the next week (our normal vet at the practice, had gone to live abroad) and this vet examined her far more thoroughly and found that she had an ear infection, milk in her teats, an irritated skin and a slight fever. She said that the lump must be removed and a mastectomy performed. She said that Tootsy was showing signs of a false pregnancy and that we must have her spayed at the same time as the mastectomy. This concerns me. It will be so painful for a little dog to have two big operations at the same time and I don't think the vet showed much interest in the fact that she would be in a great deal of pain. She said 'of course, she will be in pain but I will give you some painkillers and anyway, they are usually fine after 24-48hrs' (?!! is this true? are they painfree after 48hrs?) I spoke to a couple on one of my walks with Tootsy, and they had told me that their Yorkie had a great deal of pain with her spaying. They said it really upset them watching her suffer so much. They go to the same vet. I do know that the vet we are seeing (the last one) is very good and is highly thought of, but she is quite a hard person. I am trying to overlook that, as I want a good vet treating my baby. She is giving Tootsy hormones to halt the false pregnancy - I chose the drops, Galastop, as opposed to the injection, as she needs to be spayed after 4wks after the injection and I did not want to feel rushed into anything before finding out as much as I can. She has given her antibiotics, Clavucil, for 10 days and antibiotic ear drops. Tootsy is vomiting some mornings and her tummy is still distended. The lump is bigger! She is very uncomfortable and cannot rest comfortably at night. I have placed her on very soft cushions and she rests for a while and then tosses and turns. She is still not herself and does not want to walk. Her ears have cleared up completely and her skin has stopped itching. I took her temperature and it was 99 degrees, which is low isn't it? Another thing, she is wetting in the house which is so unusual. Today she is eating less, thank heavens. The ranvenous appetite has finally gone but she is shivering! I feel sick with worry about her.

The advice I want is: should I wait for 4 weeks to have that lump removed. The vet wants it done at the same time as the spaying so she only has one anaesthetic, but it is growing quickly. I feel it is too much surgery to do to a small dog at the same time, and I would like the lump removed next week anyway, not 4 wks time! Should I ask for the lump to be removed and tested for cancer before having the mastectomy? I feel that doing a mastectomy when it may not be necessary is not good. I do realise it may mean another anaesthetic. What do you think? Secondly, should she still be vomiting after having the Galastop for three days (three more doses to go)? Would you let your dog have a mastectomy and spay at the same time. Could you let me know your experiences with spaying as regards pain and most effective painkillers? ANY advice on any of the above would be so much appreciated. I am feeling very, very upset about the whole thing and terrified that my baby may have cancer. If she does have it, how do they treat it? I better stop now as this is getting far too long. Thank you so much for taking the time to read it all.

xxx
Franceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
YT 500 Club Member

I'm so sorry you're going through all this. Hopefully there will be someone come along very soon with the experience and knowledge to help you.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
I Love My Yorkies
Donating Member

Im sorry your going through this and agree with you I would want the lump removed soon also. I hope you get good news and will keep your baby in my good thoughts. I recently had a mass found in my breast and had to have a biopsy and what helped me was praying about it and refusing to worry about it untill I knew I had a reason to worry. I just put it in Gods hands. Thats all we can do and worrying about it when we dont know if its cancer is not productive or good for you. I hope that helps you
chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I know you're worried, but it's actually better for her to have everything done at once. When kaji was neutered, i had them microship him, and extract teeth retained baby teeth at the same time to avoid having him put under a second time. Dogs are so resilient! He was better in a matter of days and back to his normal self. As far as waiting to have the lump removed, that's a tough one. Can you get a second opinion? I would, and have when I'm uneasy about something. I love my vet, but like you said, I want to be informed and make the right decision for my pup. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Why can't she be spayed now?

She does need to be spayed asap. I'd wonder if she will develop a pymoetra after all of this if she isn't starting to already. Whether or not the lump should be removed is the vet's call. If it's getting bigger, I'd be having it removed at the time of spay. If it's tiny and staying that way, I really think the vet is the best one to decide. Ellie had a couple tiny lumps. She was spayed and they went away on their own. Had they gotten bigger post-spay, they would have been at least aspirated.

It sounds as though she is a sick little girl and needs both of these procedures done as soon as possible. I'd be much less concerned about surgical pain than cancer. The fact is, mammary cancer is very common in unspayed females and so is pyometra.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
YT 500 Club Member

Thank you for all the replies - they are much appreciated. Ellie May, I don't know why the vet said that the spay should be done in four weeks time. I thought it may be due to the fact that she is on the hormones to stop the false pregnancy? Perhaps she wants Tootsy to be feeling better before surgery is performed? It may also be due to her having recently had a season? Thinking about it, I think the vet did say something about timing of spaying with regard to a bitch being recently on heat. I was so upset at the time that I did not take everything in.

I know I should not be worrying about the pain of surgery when cancer is a possibility. It will break my heart to see her in pain, but I have got to be stronger than that, I know. Nevertheless, I would still like to know what pain meds they normally give them after surgery and which ones are most effective?

Has anyone had a lump tested on their babies before a mastectomy is performed, or is it normal procedure to perform a mastectomy straight away?

Thanks again for your kind replies. xx
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #7

Discuss pain meds with your vet. We have very educated members, but it is best to speak to someone who has actually seen your girl and knows her physical condition. Pre op bloodwork is a must for any surgery. Any signs that she might not handle anesthesia well can be caught early. Also, if you're uneasy about pain medication, write every question down on a notepad and take it with you when you speak to the vet. I'm like you and had a million questions, but when in front of the vet, I would forget. This way you can write down the answers and really process the information. You seem like a cautious person, and this might put your mind at ease.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I'm so sorry your Tootsy is feeling unwell. I would make a list of all the questions I have, then call your vet's office and speak with the vet her saw her. Just explain that during your recent visit you were so focussed on Tootsy that not all of what she explained at that time stuck with you. Then I would describe what changes Tootsy is experiencing now

I would also if I am still uncomfortable with either the vet or her recommended course of treatment seek a second opinion.

Pain meds prescribed here in North America may not be either available in the UK or vice versa. But generally speaking it is common practice to prescribe pain meds after surgery.

I certainly hope Tootsy starts to feel better soon.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
YT 500 Club Member

Thank you very much for the replies. Tootsy had a very bad night. She does not seem to be able to get comfortable. She 'digs' and scratches at her pillow for ages and then turns around and around before lying down. She is there for a few seconds and is up again 'scratching and digging at her pillow etc. We carried her around a lot of the night, which seemed to help her, but no one got any sleep. She vomited again this morning. She wouldnot go for a walk again today. This afternoon I tried to get her to rest with me and she started the scratching and digging cycle again, but after some time I got her to lie down next to me and she slept for a couple of hours.

'Gemy' I did what you recommended and phoned the vet to discuss Tootsy's latest symptoms and the vet felt that they are caused by the medication more than a worsening of her condition. She is going to see her earlier than we arranged, just to be sure. Tonight she is shivering again and has started crying a lot! I can only assume she is in pain? We are carrying her around again (I don't mind if she gets a bit spoilt as long as we can give her some comfort while she is unwell) and it seems to help her.

Gosh, I will be relieved when this is all over and she is, hopefully,well again. I have been in tears so many times today, as I am so worried about her. Please could you keep praying for her, especially that the lump is not cancerous. I would be so grateful. xxx
Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Hook Em! Bevo & Mack
Donating Member

Oh my goodnes...My heart is breaking for you and your girl...I Hope your vet can help her sooner rather than later. No worse feeling than knowing your baby is hurting and cant tell you where or how bad...Ill keep her in my prayers

Bevo and Mack
& grandpups Bryleigh and Jaxon
KendraE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
YT 500 Club Member

Thanks KendraE for your sweet post. You sound so caring.

Tootsy has been to the vet a couple of times since my last post. She is very nauseous and up until yesterday morning she has been vomiting a lot and not keeping her food down. The vet gave her an anti-nausea injection yesteday and told me to starve her until today and then give her some plain fish and rice. I did this and she ate about a third of a cup - very reluctantly. She has kept it down and has not been sick at all today. Last night she felt dreadful asm despite the injection, she felt very nauseous and we were kept up with her all night. She just looked awful, poor little girl. She has just wanted to sleep all day in our arms and has no energy. As awful as she is feeling, she givies us kisses as though to say 'thank you for all the comfort' - darling little girl. She really seems to appreciate the extra care we are giving her. I do have good news and this is that her lump is reducing!! The vet feels that it may be gone before they operate in three weeks time! She thinks that it is unlikely to be cancer now, but that I must not celebrate too soon. I have to wait and see how it goes. I am wondering if the drug to stop the lactation, Galastop, is what is making her nausea last this long? She finished the drug two days ago. Does this happen? Does morning sickness go on despite the lactation ceasing? The vet says that if the vomiting continues she will have to do Xrays and blood tests to try and find the cause of the nausea and vomiting? She never mentions morring sickness. I asked what painkillers they use when spaying and she said Tramadol. I see that a lot of people have had problems with Tramadol.

That's the update for now and I will keep letting you know how things go. Thanks again for your help and if you have any further advice, it will be very appreciated.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Loved by Maddie & Libby
Donating Member

I am so sorry to hear that Tootsy is not feeling well. Shaking in dogs many times means pain...and especially if she is crying along with it. Has your vet done bloodwork and if so, was everything normal. I've never heard of a dog being in pain over a false pregnancy. Do you have another vet in your area that you could get a second opinion from? It just seems like there's something there that they are overlooking. Sounds like the poor baby is so uncomfortable. I sure hope you can figure this out soon and she can feel better! I wonder if admin should move this thread to the sick/emergency section. I think more people would see it there. Please let us know how she is doing and I'll say a prayer for her!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
I am so sorry to hear that Tootsy is not feeling well. Shaking in dogs many times means pain...and especially if she is crying along with it. Has your vet done bloodwork and if so, was everything normal. I've never heard of a dog being in pain over a false pregnancy. Do you have another vet in your area that you could get a second opinion from? It just seems like there's something there that they are overlooking. Sounds like the poor baby is so uncomfortable. I sure hope you can figure this out soon and she can feel better! I wonder if admin should move this thread to the sick/emergency section. I think more people would see it there. Please let us know how she is doing and I'll say a prayer for her!
Thanks so much for this reply. Tootsy has stopped the vomiting and nausea and is sleeping better at night. She is not so clingy and is not crying - I agree with you that she must have had some sort of pain to be crying so much. At least that has resolved. She ate very well yesterday and today she has eaten about half a cup of food. She is drinking a lot again!! This had stopped but today she is definitely drinking more water. Also she is panting very easily and has no stamina. She only walks for a short time and then wants to be picked up. She starts to pant quite quickly when she walks. She wakes up in the night and pants and will also suddenly start panting when she is lying down. She seems to get hot very quickly and moves to a cool spot. Normally she would 'bake' in the sun for as long as she could possibly bear it!! Even then she would not be panting much. Now she pants much more easily. I did speak to the vet about Cushings, but she said that Tootsy does not look like a dog with Cushings to her. I am wondering if I should ask for more tests or should I wait and see how things go. The vet is going to think I am neurotic if I phone yet again, I imagine!! I would feel a lot happier if she did some checks of Tootsy's heart and liver function before the spay. She did urine tests which were fine and she did listen to Tootsy's heart and she seemed happy with it. I know she is considered a good vet.

Thanks for the suggestion that I put this up in the sick/emergency forum. I did do this, but it seems I am getting more replies here. I posted it here originally as I thought that breeders would have more information on false pregnancies. Thanks again for your reply and I am very grateful for your prayers for my baby.
hugs xx
Old 10-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #14

I am so sorry to be reading this. I hope your girl continues to improve and glad to read she is feeling better.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
♥Trained by my pups♥
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Just checking to se how she is doing. Poor little girl