View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
SissaYSU
Senior Yorkie Talker

Icon2 Help With New Yorkie Puppy!

We recently bought home a new yorkie puppy...a little boy

He instantly attached to me. He is my little shadow. Wherever I am, he is. He even started climbing the stairs to get to me (however, he won't go DOWN them). The problem is...there are other people in my family that he is terrified of. Whenever any of my brothers pick him up, he is shaking uncontrollably. Whenever my mom is holding him he is shaking. He yelps and yelps until he sees me. My brother is now getting really upset at the fact that the dog seems to want nothing to do with anyone but me. I am now trying to keep my distance from him so he can try and get attached to others in the family. But it doesn't work because he will keep crying until he sees my face.

I want him to get attached to everyone else in my family. I admit, it's really nice having him be my shadow...look down wherever I go and there he is. But my brothers want to be able to play with him and be with him. He will only play with me. If one of my brothers gets out a squeaky toy for him he will ignore them.

How on earth do I go about trying to get him to get attached to everyone else, if when he is around everyone else and not me he gets so worked up that I have to come back to him to calm him down? We have another yorkie and he never did this. He was shy for a couple days after arriving (we got him at three months old) but warmed up to everyone. This dog just immediately hooked on to me and acts like he wants nothing to do with everyone else

What can I do to get him used to everyone else? Should I try and stay away from him? I've been doing that but he gets so worked up that I need to get back and calm him down. I don't know what to do! I am happy to have him...he's adorable and just the sweetest thing...but I feel bad that my brothers and the rest of my family are upset that he won't even attempt to do anything with them when they try!

Also...how on earth am I supposed to get our other Yorkie to at least deal with the new puppy? He wants NOTHING to do with him. He's snapped at him, he's snarled at him...and now whenever he sees Bubba, he'll turn the other direction. He didn't snap at him at all today. He just kind of turned the other way. I'd rather him do that than snap...but at the same time I'd like for them to get along!

Thanks!!
SissaYSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!