View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Yes, there are 100% housebroken yorkies out there. Mine is and there are others on here who also have housebroken yorkies.

I can tell you that when it came to potty training, for me it was the ONLY priority I had! I was unrelenting in my watchfulness of Millie until she was housebroken. In other words, I never let her out of my site, EVER! And it took over 3 months of this non-stop vigilance before I was comfortable letting her have free range of the home (except for a few rooms).

There were a couple of things going for me. 1. Millie from day one did not mess in her crate. 2. Once we established her x-pen as an extension of her crate, she did not mess in it either 3. I had easy access to the outside and a small fenced in area for her to potty in. (So if I had to take her out every hour on the hour or be out there for 20-30 mins until she went, that was ok) 4. Eventually I got a doggie door (after she was fully house broken) and that has really been beneficial; and 5. I only had one puppy to worry with not two.

I work all day and Millie was able to hold her potty until we got home. she was somewhere between 12-14 wks old. We kept her in her crate when we were not there.

Even though I wanted to relax when I got home and every day for 3 months I was not able to and after wondering if I had made a mistake in getting Millie, she finally got house broken. Let me tell you: Those were the worst days of my life, but oh so worth it now! Now I am able to enjoy Millie and make other things priority and not have to worry about cleaning up messes every day for the rest of her life.

So it is possible and well worth the effort. So just continue to be consistent and maintain a "doggy bootcamp" mentality, it will eventually click with them.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!