View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
LeaveittoBiewer
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Possible Heart Murmur

Hi everyone,

I originally post this on BiewerTalk but didn't get many responses so I thought that hopefully I could get some input here.

I just recently joined and enjoy reading and learning through these posts. I have a concern, if anyone can share some input. I just recently purchased a male biewer yorkie from a breeder in PA. He's now 12 weeks old and a feisty little character. Yesterday, I took him for his full physical exam and third round of shots and the vet commented on hearing a heart murmur. He asked if the breeder had mentioned it to me and I replied with a surprised NO. I guess when seeing the shocked look on my face, he tried to ease my nerves by saying that he only really hears it when the puppy is excited but when he holds him and he's calm, he doesn't hear it. He said that he would keep an eye out on it and also said that they 'usually' grow out of it.

Now...am I jumping the gun by being overly concerned or should I be? I had a yorkie 1o years ago who had a heart murmur. I purchased him from a pet store( didn't know about puppy mills back then). He died within a few months from complications of his heart and I was heartbroken. It has taken me this long to finally want another dog. And now this...deja vu! I was hoping to breed at a later time but don't know if I should now. I paid the higher price for full breeding rights and registration docs so the breeder was aware of my future plans of the puppy.

I have sent the breeder an email but she hasn't responded.

Should I be concerned of this heart murmur? Also, does the health guaranty contract cover this kind of defect?

Thanks for any responses,
Nita
LeaveittoBiewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!