View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
YorkieShadow
BANNED!

Im not sure if that would be a split heat. if she had gotten preg three months ago. heres what happened to my little girl.
I have always had trouble knowing when to breed my female Yorkie. I have never had this problem with any other female. My Little Minnie went in heat three months ago Her and My little boy Mickey tied three times. Nothing happened .three months later shes in heat again. Someone told me it sounded like a split heat. I took her to the vet and he said yes she is in heat and said that what she has been doing is having split heats. Well now I know Im not crazy. lol well a little but not real crazy and Its nice to know what has been going on with her heats. He did some test and said if we wanted puppies to go ahead and let them the next two days. an dso they now have tied again 3 times.

YorkieGold found this info. on split heat, So i thought Id post it here.

Other disturbances in the heat cycle can occur, said Dr. Casal. These include prolonged proestrus, prolonged estrus and split estrus. Bitches in prolonged proestrus often must be "pushed into ovulating" using hormone therapy. Prolonged estrus phases--which last more than 12 days--are sometimes anovulatory. Hormone therapy to treat prolonged estrus may result in marked side effects. Split estrus is characterized by a normal proestrus and the beginning of an apparently normal estrus in which the female initially allows mounting, then refuses, and then allows it again. Vaginal cytology often reveals that the bitch was not in true estrus until the second standing heat. These cycle anomalies cause difficulty in timing breeding.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/schoolreso...-symposium.html
YorkieShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!