Thread: Genetics??
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Nazir's
No Longer a Member

Post Genetics/Breeding

I just thought that I'd jump in here and make a quick recommendation for those who are interested in learning the make up of genetics/breeding.

I recommend either going to one of Dr. Claudia Orlandi's breeder seminars and/or purchasing her book, The ABC's of Dog Breeding.

It is really easy to read and understand and pretty much covers all of the questions that could be asked concerning breeding/genetics.

Many breeders today are still using the chance method (50/50) when breeding. By doing so, this could truly prove to be a waste and a set back IF their goal is to produce better quality specimens of the breed.

It has been proven that breeders who tend to look and understand the basics of genetics prior to breeding have manage to produce genetically superior dogs in each new generation. Thus, becoming a successful breeder.

From Dr. Orlandi's book:

"Breeding is both an ART and a SCIENCE. The art of breeding has to do with the dogs that breeders select to mate; it requires an eye for an dog, which is an almost innate ability to evaluate a dog as one piece and recognize balance, quality and correctness, in any breed.

The science deals with breeding systems used to mate each dog; it REQUIRES an understanding of the genetic concepts and principles.

Because the FOUNDATION for breeding success is guided by mating the BEST to the BEST with a goal of producing genetically superior dogs in each new generation, becoming a successful breeder means MASTERING BOTH the art and the science."

I once attended a breeding seminar called the ABC's of Dog Breeding by Dr. Claudia Orlandi, Ph.D and she goes way into this. I'd recommend her book to all breeders. It's truly a eye opener.

Plus, once all the work out assignments are completed throughout the book, the book provides a page that can be mailed into the AKC, so that one could receive an official breeders certificate of completion.
Nazir's is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!