View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
feminvstr
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean29
I was taking Kiwi for a nice walk...the entire time she was acting a little weird, she wouldn't walk with me properly. Suddenly, when I wasn't paying attention, she makes a move and starts RUNNING AWAY !! (the leash slipped out of my hand). I was chasing her on the side-walk right next to a busy road. I finally just put my foot on the end of her leash to make her stop, which jolted her back (it probably hurt her, but she does have a harness). I immediately picked her up, said "NO BAD GIRL" in the deepest loudest voice I could, brought her back to the apartment, and locked her in the closet for 10minutes. Is this too harsh??? I wonder if she even knows why she got a timeout because it was 5minutes after she was naughty. I have no idea why she tried to do this, she could've been killed!
Dean in all due respect..imagine if you, your child or a human loved one was locked in the closet for 10 minutes how they would feel???scared to death!!

you scared your puppy even more by doing this, this kind of punishment is uncalled for, youre the trainer she is the trainee, you should be angry at yourself not at her. If a puppy doesnt mind you outside, simply pick them up walk them home in your arms. Sometimes puppies take to the lead easy others dont.

I have a show potential boy "Handsome Ransom" he will not do the lead outside or in a conformation class for nothing but inside my home he is a real show off. Try working with her inside on the lead make is a fun game for a week, about 5-10 minutes a day then try the driveway only a few times during the week, then try walks.

Trust me time outs in an xpen is enough punishment for a learning puppy, dont use a crate for punishment either because she will begin to fear her crate!

hope this helps
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!