View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
TASEY
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
You should be able to feel ribs easily, but not necessarily see them. When looking above from an aerial view you want to see a somewhat "hourglass" figure.

Jackson, at his best, is around 17lbs. He has gained over the winter and probably needs to lose a pound.

You want to feed for your ideal weight, not the dogs current weight. Let's say a dog is overweight at... 10lbs. most people feed the recommended amount on the bag for a 10lb dog even if the dog is supposed to be 7lbs lol.

Jackson, pretty active still and 17lbs eats the amount of your pup. He gets 1/4 cup kibble am, 1/4 cup pm, each meal mixed with a spoonful of wet. He also gets some treats throughout the day and a dental chew of sorts at night.

Here he is at his best ...
He is beautiful! He is far thinner than Tasey. Tasey has a very round look him. And I cannot feel his ribs. I will try to download a picture of him, but I am embarrassed at how fat I let him get.

I weighed him today, and he is 11 pounds 6.5 ounces, so down a few ounces. Hopefully I am on the right track, but I may need to reduce his food a bit more.

I am willing to take him to the university hospital near me if his weight doesn't seem like it is coming down. I am sure they have vets who specialize in weight/nutrition issues. I love my vet, but I have also had great luck with the hospital for more in-depth care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Taser.jpeg (116.4 KB, 37 views)
TASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!