View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Default HPP processed commercial raw pet foods.

I was asked about whether the HPP (High Pressure Processing) food sterilization process used by many commercial raw food companies is effective in killing bacteria in raw chicken, so I looked into it, and the answer is yes.

Companies like Stella & Chewy and Primal Pet Foods use HPP to sterilize many of their poultry products. On their websites, they only mention testing for E. coli and Salmonella, so I had to do some more research about Campylobacter. I found a research article on the effectiveness of HPP processing on killing Campylobacter, and the results are that HPP is more effective at killing Campylobacter than other foodborne pathogens like Salmonella. Here is a link to the article's abstract: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26172174

There are no published studies comparing the safety of feeding HPP processed commercial raw dog foods vs. home prepared raw dog foods that I know of, but if I were determined to feed raw chicken to my dog (which I'm not), I would go with an HPP processed commercial raw dog food, and I would definitely check out the company to make sure they use HPP processing first.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!