View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
LucyGoosey
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Well I and many other disagree and your facts are off. Police dogs are trained with positive reinforcement my trainer trained police dogs for over 20 years. Even trainers will tell you there are rare situations that shock collars are needed. They also are not made for dogs under 15 pounds and are very very dangerous. The reason she goes nuts is because she doesn't want to be shocked. Positive reinforcement is the way to train not beat or hurt the dog into doing what you want. Punishing a dog for their only way to to speak and communicate is wrong. If she only barks for a minute its really not that big a deal and she is doing what dogs do by alerting you. White noise machines do work if its just a small sound or disturbance that's why TV and stuff are left on for dogs when home alone.
We’ll agree to disagree. Lucy is over 15lbs, anyhow, and my trainers who have trained military and police dogs for just as long as you have do use the eCollars. Besides, you don’t stim them to hurt or punish them. You only stim them AFTER they have learned the skill and it’s usually incredibly low voltage just to remind them when they get distracted.

Different strokes for different folks. But I guarantee you it’s not fear that Lucy’s expressing with the collar. I’m sure you know your own dog’s emotions and I’m sure you know how you’d feel if a stranger on the internet were trying to tell you what they meant without knowing anything about you or your dog except a single fact of type of collar you use.

Anyway, I’m not here to evangelize eCollars.

Leaving a TV on is not out of the question, but the random barking happens at any hours and often while we are home watching TV. She’s a good guard doggie. Yes, she may have the separation anxiety bark/shrieks when we leave, but a TV wouldn’t do anything about that.

And you’re right, the suspicion bark is only for a few seconds so it’s really not THAT big of deal, but it’s enough times during the day that neighbors COULD complain and we’d be forced to deal with it at some point.

Anyway, I appreciate your input, but we should steer clear of the shock collar debate. That’s like talking about abortion or religion or Trump/Obama/Hillary. Best avoided, at least when it’s clear we’re on opposite sides of view. Have a wonderful day!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!