View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #15
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I have read that allergies in dogs from food are not as common as environmental allergies...... somewhere around 5% are due to food is what I understand. ??

And, I think??? they are usually due to proteins.

I am far from an expert on this topic; but I know my vet told me it is a small amount of allergies that are due to food and I an sure I read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Here is the issue if a dog truly had a food allergy they couldn't eat dog food that was made in the same plant as what they are allergic to because of cross contamination so if they truly had a food allergy they would have to be on a prescription food with no cross contamination possible.
Sorry if that was confusing. You both thought I was talking about food allergies. I wasn't.

What I'm saying is that allergies (in general, but enviro mainly) are rampant in dogs, esp yorkies. Bc of that - their immune systems could be easily activated due to nature/nurture. When the immune system becomes activated by, for example, pollens -- they'd be vulnerable to other potential allergens *as well*. So, bc of that -- I really don't want my dogs on a diet that contains known potential allergens or irritants bc *IF* a dog is already vulnerable to developing allergies -- I don't want them consuming potential allergens which could actually be the "trigger" for their immune system to overload and develop the actual allergy/histamine reaction....whether to pollens, food, dust, or whatever.

Hopefully that made better sense. It's hard to explain. It's like a dam in a way -- the immune system being the dam and all that water building behind the dam are the allergens...building and building -- until *bam* it overloads and water spills over. I'm trying to avoid all common potential allergens (food or whatever) so that I don't fill up that water.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!