View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownKenzo View Post
Funny, yours sounds EXACTLY like my boy. He is seven and I hate to break it to you, I don't see it changing. We love ours like he's one of us, so we don't mind so much. I think it's great that he's interactive and smart. I'd rather him be this way than a bump on a log.
I know, right? I'd rather have an involved dog than one that shows little interest in anything but another dog walking down the sidewalk, his dinner, nap or potty time. But here's some soapbox about training. I'm passionate about it as dogs adore it!

Still, you can have just as involved, happy, feisty a dog as can possibly be, one that has been conditioned by the method of training that doing what you ask is a big-time win for him, and shows great excitement at his big win - doing what you've asked for your sincere praise at his achievement and his paycheck - getting a reward that he values from you. And the training is totally upbeat, fun, totally interactive and involves real teamwork - just the two of you working together to communicate and bring out your dog's achievements and your pride in him. And he feels pride in himself - it's very obvious. It's so much fun to see your dog totally happy with himself, feeling in control and smart, knowing you're proud of him for what he just did. He feels so good about himself when he learns what it is you're working to communicate to him - and you feel it, too. Training your dog to simply do what you ask is so rewarding for both of you and you never come home to a messed up house, chewed furniture or shoes, potty in the big middle of the bed!

I still allow Tibbe to bark a great deal - it's his form of voicing his feelings and why shouldn't get get to do that? A barking dog really doesn't bother me unless they go on for minutes. He barks anytime he wants, appropriately and he's a wonderful watchdog. Now if he growls, low and menacing, I sit up and pay attention! I love to watch him bark out the window as he 'controls' his territory even when indoors. But after a full minute or more of that, after say 11 pm, after I've checked out whatever he's barking at, I love having a dog I can simply say "quiet" to or give a hand gesture and he'll go quiet - because he wants to please me, same as we love to please them with toys, a long walk or fun play. A trained dog like Tibbe wants to do what I've asked more than he wants to continue to bark because he'd rather have my pride and approval and his paycheck reward more than anything and he feels very smart for showing me he knows just what I've asked him to do! He's anything but a bump on a log anytime - he's more aware, just as feisty and terrier-spirited and attuned to life and me than he ever was before training. He's still a black-hearted little terrierist hellion at heart - haha.

But I'm his teammate and we work for each other's pleasure but it's clear he wants my sincere approval and that rewarding paycheck - be it a piece of kibble, a chew stick I hold while he chews it or a squeaky toy I throw for him to chase. If one makes training upbeat, fun, the rewards seem exciting and fulfilling, our dogs would rather do what we ask for our pleasure in them same as we love giving them what they want for simply seeing their pleasure in getting it. If you could see Tibbe, you could see he's no automaton but a happy, in-charge little terrier enjoying his life and a such a joy to live with! Uh - oh, soapbox ran long!!! Sorry!!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!