View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 01:58 AM   #38
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canana View Post
I also love reading this discussion as well! A few years ago, I discovered that grain-free and feeding raw has become the latest and greatest in dog diets. I did a little bit of reading on that when I first got Scottie and found it interesting to read about the pros/cons of both feeding raw and kibble.

I would agree that kibble probably isn't the healthiest, as it is processed. But as with any 'new' trends, I wouldn't doubt that feeding raw may have other health implications too. I guess time will tell. For years, dogs have lived healthy lives on kibble. It'll be interesting to know if dogs will live longer healthier lives on raw.

I'm also curious to know what vets are taught in school on the topic of nutrition. A while back, I read somewhere that brands such as Royal Canine and Hills, lams, and Purina sponsor a lot of the veterinary education programs / research etc, so vets will always promote these brands. Apparently, there are kickbacks from dog food companies to vet schools. It'd be interesting to know how true this is.
Apparently vets get one class about nutrition and that is it. Amazing, isn't it...? They come out of school knowing almost nothing, relatively. It's kinda shocking...and most def disappointing.

Yes, RC/Hills/Iams etc are huge financial sponsors of vet schools and student programs. They conduct themselves just like how big pharma does with medical students...same thing, same shady practices in terms of paying for stuff and ingratiating themselves when they are students. We had the same thing in nursing school...as did our friends who were in medical school, PT school, dental...you name it.

So yeah, I agree that it's very hard to trust a vet who promotes RC or Hills, for me.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!