View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #36
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canana View Post
I also love reading this discussion as well! A few years ago, I discovered that grain-free and feeding raw has become the latest and greatest in dog diets. I did a little bit of reading on that when I first got Scottie and found it interesting to read about the pros/cons of both feeding raw and kibble.

I would agree that kibble probably isn't the healthiest, as it is processed. But as with any 'new' trends, I wouldn't doubt that feeding raw may have other health implications too. I guess time will tell. For years, dogs have lived healthy lives on kibble. It'll be interesting to know if dogs will live longer healthier lives on raw.

I'm also curious to know what vets are taught in school on the topic of nutrition. A while back, I read somewhere that brands such as Royal Canine and Hills, lams, and Purina sponsor a lot of the veterinary education programs / research etc, so vets will always promote these brands. Apparently, there are kickbacks from dog food companies to vet schools. It'd be interesting to know how true this is.
Vets don't get kick backs on dog foods. If other brands out there like wellness, and so on put the research in their food like Royal Canin and Hills I am sure that vet would be thrilled to listen to their educational stuff on their food but the fact is they don't. Royal Canin, Purina, and Hills are the only ones willing to put the research and money in to make their food great (in my opinion). They also are the only ones to research the right food for certain health issues and prescription food has saved many dogs lives. There is so much that goes into dog food other then just ingredients. I think food is important but I think the biggest issue in my opinion is over vaccinating and I think that is seriously effecting our dogs quality or life and how long they live. I wish we could get more research into this and how long vaccines really work because I think its longer then 3 years but its such a slowwwww process.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!