View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

When Max was a puppy, he thought it was great fun to bite at my bare toes first thing in the morning. I told him "no bite" and when he didn't listen, I put him in his xpen while I brushed my teeth and dressed.

Max soon learned that if he wanted his freedom in the morning, he couldn't bite my toes.

Never show anger or frustration. Yelling cranks them up even more, as you wrote. Demonstrate that you are control by remaining calm.

Work on basic obedience, performing basic tricks daily. I give my boys a single kibble reward for performing each trick: sit, stay, shake hands, down, and so on. It's a fun game and helps build confidence.

I agree with the suggestions for lots of exercise, preferably daily walks, to wear down some of the energy. Might be difficult if you live in a colder climate like I do.

Don't force petting him if he bites. Let him come to you on his own terms for petting.

Top suggestion: be consistent in saying no bite, withdrawing attention. Shaping behavior doesn't happen overnight.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!