View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #28
oneofakind864
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I appreciate how you feel about what you feed your pup.....we all have preferences in what we consider important in what we feed and even in what we eat. I personally do not critique other dog foods and throw out someones list of what THEY think my dog should be eating, because, as with my own diet, I make my own choices. As far as increases in cancers, I personally think we each have genetic triggers, like allergies, and when we ingest water treated with whatever we personally are sensitive to, or eat from plastic containers that break down and release chemicals that leach into what we then eat, or all the other unknowns we come in contact with everyday, that hit our personal genetic trigger, THAT turns on our individual cancer generator and we develop cancer someplace in our body.

So I concentrated on your statement about your baby living for 20 years. As we all know, all living things have a finite age parameter. Some of us wish we could live forever. We all certainly want our pets to live long healthy lives. The oldest living Yorkie on record is a little Yorkie, Lucy, who is 22 years old, living in Borne, Netherlands. She is in the Guiness Record Book....there is a man and wife in Leeds England, with a Yorkie that they claim is 28 years old. So I went on a hunt for this man and his wife....I am no where the caliber of slueth that some of our members on this forum are....but I did find out the husband has since died, in 2012. I am tryiong to verify what this Yorkie was fed all these years....I received an email from "a friend of the family" , that has told me she thinks that family fed that little dog Royal Canin! Now, I am trying to validate this information....I am trying to get in touch with Kath Aveyard, the wife and owner of little Bonnie, to get it straight from her, that this little dog was fed RC!! Wont this be something if it turns out to be true!!! What a great "positive clinical trial outcome" for RC if that little dog was fed RC!!! (RC is widely and generously used throughout Europe) RC may just be the very thing your little dog needs to keep her around for many, many, many years!

Just thought I would throw this little tidbit into the mix!!

I love all these links and input. It's the kind of thing i was hoping to find when I posted. and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to know if RC was what they fed the yorkie you are sleuthing out! LOL

Also will look into the hills everyday formula. My other little one did great on the K/d version until it started making her sick and she lost her appetite Then it became a battle to create a diet that met the parameters set out by the vet for what she needed mixed with something that piqued her interest and appetite.

And on on the ingredients thing... I guess I just trust pure non processed ( or processed very little) ingredients that are human grade because I know the things we eat are subjected to minimal checks and balances- and the average person STILL ends up eating so much crap it's astounding!. WIth doggie ingredients...not sure those checks and balances are as enforced or as stringent and THAT is truly scary- given what slips past as OK for humans..I shudder to think what slips past as ok for animals. When I read about treats and dog foods that have been recalled for making little ones sick. My hear always goes out to not only the animals but to the owners who thought they were doing something good for their fur baby. That said... I WOULD LOVE to find that Royal Canin is what kept that little yorkie healthy for almost 3 decades.And it IS what am feeding my current pup and what I fed my last little girl. It has been my "Goto" kibble and it WOULD be SO easy to keep feeding such an easily available kibble with augmented fresh ingredients. After I speak to the animal nutritionist....I'll follow through on what they suggest. Like I said. I want what is best for my dog- and if it is Royal Canin AWESOME.. if it's a more expensive dog food or homecooked( tho not quite as awesome) ...I'll do that too!

12 years may seem like a long time for a doggie- but it wasn't enough for me. And I am continually aware of how precious every day is with these little babies. I had 4290 days with my last girl ( that's not counting the first few weeks of her life when the breeder had her and the couple of vacations we took over the years where She had to stay with "Aunties" or her "Grand mom". I'm shooting for at least 5000 days with my little girl Roxie. Like one poster said nutrition is complicated and all we can do is try to educate ourselves and seek out the best expert advice available and do the best we can.

Last edited by oneofakind864; 04-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.
oneofakind864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!