View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #18
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
Okay, my tongue has healed. The justifications for trashing the dog foods on this list are bogus. One example is menadione (vitamin K). In the small amounts it appears in dogfood, it is safe. See: Vitamin K3 (menadione) in Pet Food: Is It Safe? | The SkeptVet

Likewise, grapeseed oil is safe. Grapes are not safe, but the oil is fine. See: Grapeseed Oil | ASPCA

As in humans, gluten is not a problem for dogs unless they are specifically allergic to it: Is Gluten-Free Dog Food Better? | Dog Allergies to Gluten | petMD

Named sources of proteins and oils are desirable from the point of view of the consumer (so you know exactly what you're getting, and to avoid allergies if your pet is allergic to a specific source), but if the company has nutritionists on staff, and excellent quality control, even that doesn't have to be a problem.

I view this list of dog foods as bogus, at least as far as the reasons given go.
Yes, and I use Hill's Ideal Balance because of your last sentence. Prior to switching to them, I would shudder every time I heard there was a pet food recall. Of course it can happen with any company, but I like the odds better with the choices I make now.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!